Game Thread 6-C: The Icemen Cometh - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Mutants & Masterminds > Champions for a New Earth > Arbiters Archive 2
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 20th, 2021, 12:17 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8737
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
6-C: The Icemen Cometh

Elena
Journeying northward all day, you emerge from the deep woods in the late morning, but don't arrive at anything nearing civilization until late evening. Over the course of ten miles, the road changes from the rich earth, to hard packed dirt, to stone pavement, the trees thinning considerably; soon, you hear the distant blast of a train whistle, and then see the 'town' - really a train station, a general store, and an inn, though you note a small building with a crucifix erected on the roof.

Carolus hauls on the reins and brings his horse to ride beside yours. "I will visit the church," he says. "Can you determine the train schedule and direction?"
Old May 20th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7691
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
It had been a long and fairly contemplative journey out of Amazonia. It still felt strange to leave having been there for so little. Elena's thoughts flit often to the trees and how the Fae had manipulated them into a beautiful city. She almost felt like she was leaving a dream and coming back to the real world. Civilization and all the smells and sounds that came with it, until they ventured far enough north where everything was silenced by the falling snow.

"Da, I will find it. You will forgive me if there is urgency and I interrupt your prayers I hope." Elena warns her comrade about the possibility. "It looks like the trains do not visit here often." Elena dismounts from her horse and gives Felix a nod farewell before she does just that, looking for anything and anyone that might be able to reveal the details they were after.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; May 20th, 2021 at 10:00 PM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:03 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast WhovianBeast
Elena
Carolus nods. "Always," he assures you, nudging his own horse toward the church.

There are a few bored-looking fae and one exhausted, grimy human aboard the platform, but of particular note is the tawny-haired fae man who seems to be neither armed nor waiting for a train, instead sitting beneath an awning in a rocking chair and calmly peeling a piece of fruit. He soon discards the peel to the ground, and takes a bite out of the remaining flesh, catching your eye and offering a civil wave with an incline of his head.

His watch chimes and he pulls it out of his pocket, letting the chime echo through the station to mark the time, before returning to his fruit.
Old May 20th, 2021, 11:44 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke Shylocke
Elena approaches the tawny-haired Fae man as casually as a woman who's interested in learning the schedule of trains from someone who was likely to freely part with that information, which happened to be exactly what she was. "Good day, sir." Elena greets the man. "We're looking to head North. You wouldn't happen to know when the next train will arrive going that way?" She inquires politely, swinging her gaze across the other train station inhabitants before looking back to the man to whom she was speaking.
Old May 21st, 2021, 01:39 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
Elena
"Near on two hours, miss," the man answers. "One south comes in a half-hour, and it needs to clear the tracks 'fore the one northbound can get here." He looks toward the church. "Your companion the white-haired one?" he inquires conversationally.
Old May 21st, 2021, 11:45 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Two hours. Plenty of time for Carolus to finish up whatever pious activities he was involved in. Maybe even enough time for her to join in and see what all the fuss was about. "Spasiba." She answers politely. "Da, he is my comrade. I am Elena Severnaya, by the way. You are?" She carries on the small talk, extending a hand to the man responsible for keeping the time here. She wouldn't go so far as to call him a station master as he seemed a bit too care free for a title of that magnitude, but that's probably what he was.
Old May 22nd, 2021, 10:53 AM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
Elena
"Jack," the fae man introduces, grasping your hand in a friendly clasp. "I keep things on time around here - leastwise, I take note when they ain't." He flashes a smile. "A good meeting, Miss Severnaya. Please, take advantage of our many luxuries here at Flatland station." He sweeps his hand across the nearly-empty platform.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 12:14 AM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Elena's follows Jack's gesture across the limited luxuries on offer. Only the Inn showed any real promise. "Only two hours, Jack. I'll have to choose wisely." She remarks with friendly sarcasm, looking at the station master sidelong with a smirk. "Spasiba again, I will be listening for our train. Good day."

Two hours was a lot of time and Elena isn't in a mood to be sociable with whatever singular person happened to occupy what passed for an inn. Instead she takes her horse over to the small church pauses at the precipice. For a moment wonders if she might be interrupting something private, that her presence would be unwanted somehow. Not in the sense of keeping her out of God's presence, but protecting the solace Felix needed. Naturally enough for her, she gets over such a thing quickly and enters the Church. Her eyes seeking out Felix immediately.
Old May 23rd, 2021, 06:50 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
Elena
Felix is kneeling with his head bowed in front of the small church, on the stairs in front of the pulpit. Behind and above the pulpit stands a small, stained-glass window that seems to serve as the primary focus of the church's architecture - a few moments' inspection determines that the 2x2 art piece doesn't depict anything in particular, instead showing a variety of pretty colors. He's praying in Latin, and the words escape you, but from their earnest, almost ritual-like tone, you can tell that they're words he's said many, many times before.

He doesn't look up as you enter, though the creaking hinges could hardly have been louder. A lone human male, perhaps sixty years of age, balding, and bearing traits of indigenous descent, sits in a linen shirt and trousers at a table just to your right - possibly a priest, possibly a man assigned to keep the building in good condition. He offers a nod of greeting, and resumes using his mortar and pestle to grind a whitish powder, one of several he has in various ramekins around the table.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; May 23rd, 2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old May 24th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Elena nods to other person, a priest probably, in return when she enters. However, she is left overall with an overwhelming sense of not being sure what to do. They had time to kill, plenty of time, and it would be fairly rude to enter this place glance about and leave. And that's without having as close a comrade as Felix.

Disturbing the man in the middle of his prayers is out and shifting her weight back and forth Elena doesn't feel comfortable joining him in front of the altar in prayer. So instead, to be as unobtrusive as possible, Elena settles herself into a back corner of the room and kneels herself. It's an odd moment initially. Kneeling there, silently and trying to figure out what to do that would at least be productive in the manner that Felix finds it.

Elena closes her eyes and focuses on her breathing, conjuring up in her mind a mental image of the steps she climbed when first met Hyperion. There she is, just climbing and climbing. Teach me. Show me the way. Give me the strength to stand against the enemy. Elena implores Hyperion inwardly. The minutes tick by and Elena keeps her breathing slow and controlled, breathe in... show me the way... breathe out. Still she scales the steps in the her mind, searching for something that would help her reach the top like she had before.

Show me the way.
Old May 25th, 2021, 10:51 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
Elena
Though the scene in front of you never changes, you feel the air grow thin and cold around you. "Northward," Hyperion directs. "A worm sent by the Adversary whispers poison to the Czar's advisors. Crush it."
Old May 26th, 2021, 02:18 AM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Elena didn't expect to hear anything in return. She just didn't. She assumed that this would be an exercise in controlling her temper, centering herself. Of course she hoped, but she never expected to hear Hyperion so clearly. It was a calming thing to be sure, knowing they were on the right path. She felt a flitter of guilt that she had doubted that whisper in the wind, but only a little bit.

That feeling of cold air is a godsend in more ways than one. A cure for homesickness, a reprieve from the sweltering heat of the amazonian rain forest and a feeling of ascension, being that much closer to her deity. Just because Elena received her message didn't mean she was a hurry to lose that feeling. Show me the way.

Eventually though, all good things must come to an end and Elena opens her eyes. Gone are her steps of Ascension and hopes to view Hyperion in full, replaced with a mundane church. Regardless of Felix's current state, Elena is of a mind to spend the rest of her time waiting for the train on more worldly things. Whatever that shoddy inn had on offer.
Old May 26th, 2021, 12:23 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
right-aligned image
Elena
Felix has stopped praying aloud, but is still knelt in an attitude of prayer.

The innkeeper seems to be another pixie - female and smaller than Ike, with dark brown hair in a ponytail that reaches two feet to her waist - she swivels from where she lies prone on the counter to sit on the edge as you enter, hopping down to the floor and beaming a toothy smile as you enter. "Welcome to the Flatland inn!" she greets cheerfully. "The finest covered lodging in Flatland station!" As her only other competition would be the church pews or the small stable behind the station, this is probably true.

Embers of a wood-fire still glow beneath a spit in a fireplace on the other side of the room. Between this, the tapped barrels standing on the far wall, and the few tables and chairs, SOME sort of cooked food and cool drink must be available, but the presentation has clearly suffered from lack of competition.

"What can I do for you, stranger?" the pixie questions, arching her neck to meet your eyes.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; May 26th, 2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old May 26th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Lies and Trickery

Tools
User Statistics
Despite rousing the innkeeper, Elena takes a moment to survey the interior of the now infamous Flatland Inn. With so little to take in, it only really does take a moment. "Just something to drink." Elena decides. "I'd like some food, but I'm waiting for company." She reveals her further intentions as she makes her way over to the table furthest from the cooking apparatus and plonks herself down into a chair. If Felix took all the time in the world to get himself ready then she'd just go hungry. "Get many customers?" Elena inquires politely as she does her best to get comfortable.
Old May 26th, 2021, 11:24 PM
Thus saith the Wooper.

Tools
User Statistics
Elena
"Water, fruit juice, beer, wine?" the pixie inquires, ducking behind the counter to grab a mug before flitting over toward the barrels. "We get a few customers," she answers vaguely. "Not many people willing to pop in, since the train neither stops for water nor fuel here and they're like as not to miss it if they step off while it boards. We get a few rangers with lost humans now and again, and lonely cowboys hoping for a warm bed, but mostly it's jest the reg'lars." She flashes a white smile."Now, we also have goat milk from this morning," she offers, flourishing the cup as she moves. "Everything's just a gold piece, except for liquor and wine, which are two."

OoC: 1 gold = 1 dollar because I'm capital-L Lazy, so that's not actually a bad price.

Last edited by WhovianBeast; May 26th, 2021 at 11:24 PM.