twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 02:55 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29362
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
August PotM

left-aligned image

<--- we walked in a maze for hours before we finally found the center tower

It's unbelievable, it's the first of August! Had some family quality time past week and at this point, finally grabbing my laptop again to set up a new thread for some unique and outstanding posts to be nominated.

Maybe you went on a vacation or you are still planning to, maybe you want or have to skip vacation this year; this place is always open to nominate a post. Or even take the time to read some nominated posts, I have learned that every month every nominated post is worth reading. Please feel free to nominate a post written in August --> did a post make you smile? Make a post in this thread and pass us some information, where to find the post, in what adventure and WHY did you like or even love this post? Share it and let us read it, provide the opportunity to reward this post with some RPXP. Were you impressed by the well-written post in your party: nominate it and share.
Please note that it is okay to nominate your own post! There is no shame in showing us your proud moment and simply make a post in this thread and let us know why you were proud :-)

Let's fill this thread with nominations
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 07:03 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30130
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
NominationPlayer: Elanir
Game: Way of the Wicked
System: Pathfinder 1e
GM: Begon Ugo

Reason for Nomination: Way of the Wicked is a 3rd party evil campaign for Pathfinder 1e. As many GM's know, an evil campaign is extremely difficult to run as it inevitably runs into clashing personalities and nihilistic behavior. I had asked applicants to dig deep into their backstories and to come up with a psychological/moralistic reason for their turn to "Evil." I did not want to tell the story of murderhobos killing for pleasure.

In this post, Elanir checks all the boxes that make GMing this game a joy. The party has just escaped from prison where they had been sentenced to death for various offenses against the state. Now, newly recruited in a rebellion, they have entered the very first step of their training. Elanir's character, Ten, was an orphan raised as a monk in the dominant religious tradition of the land. His upbringing was anything but loving and here as he faces the first tentative steps towards revenge, Ten reaches back into the past... back to the one moral anchor he still possesses, Old Geron.

Old Geron’s lessons prepare Ten for the danger that awaits in the looming dungeon and he steps forward, for the first time taking the lead of the party… a party of very strong… and dangerous personalities. Ten dissects the problem before them and lays out his creative solutions, pushing the narrative forward and drawing the rest of the players deeper into the unfolding drama.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; Aug 11th, 2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 10:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10502
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
NominationPlayer: cottontailwind
Game: Academy of Heroes
System: Pathfinder 1e
GM: dalarangreen

Reason: I loved this introductory post by cottontailwind. At the Academy of Heroes, we have a wide variety of strange and peculiar characters who are welcome. Cottontailwind is a new player in our game and I loved how he introduced Goio in this post. OOC, he discussed with me some of the themes of his character including his "oracle/divination" background with an emphasis on using the stars as a part of his character. Cottontailwind shows how you can take mechanical elements of a gaming system, like the Oracle's "lame" curse and common spells like "command", as inspiration to really make a character come to life, with personality and flavor.

I learned so much about Goio from this initial post!
Old Aug 21st, 2021, 08:32 AM
Literal Worm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9703
Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon Wishkamon
NominationPlayer: HenryLockwood
Game: Outplay 2021
System: Outplay 2021
GM: Bhelogan

Reason: It was tough to pick a favourite post from outplay, so much so that I was paralized by indescision last month! But this final post from Aegaras was such a great read that I figured I'd get in while it was fresh in my mind. A great balence of sincerity and humor. Aegaras has been comanding the battlefield with poetry and quick wit this round, and to finish up with him just cussing down a demon and throwing coins at it really tickled me! Henry has a great style and masterful comand of language, I dare you not to smile while reading this
Old Sep 2nd, 2021, 09:09 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18774
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I almost threw this in the wrong month
My first submission this year
  • Player: Marshmallow
  • Game: The Spiders Web
  • System: Cyberpunk Red
  • GM: Marshmallow

• Reason for Nomination:
    When I run a game, I like to make the world come alive for the players. One of the ways I do this is by giving NPC's depth of character, even an internal monolog here or there that the players glean from an insight check or to explain how that charm spell worked on the NPC. So when I see someone else do the same but better than I ever did, I have to give credit where credit is due. It also helps that Marshmallow's writing is excellent, and she can express how there is so much going on behind the scenes.

The first game thread Episode I: Delivery Day in the same folder has more examples of this, but I believe this post here is the best one by far.

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: I got into Iron DM so status is now set to: Erratic! / Fri & Sat: Usually Unavailable

Last edited by Silk; Sep 2nd, 2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 09:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7270
4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger 4eyedBadger
Player: Ungainly Fool
Game: The Coils of Veles
System: D&D 5e
GM: 4eyedBadger

Reason for Nomination: Ungainly Fool’s character, Arkady, has been a delight since the beginning of this game. A griffon rider whose mind was broken by tragedy, he always offers unique perspectives on a situation.

This post takes place in the heat of a battle against a fear-wielding demon. Ungainly Fool does such a good job incorporating game mechanics in a gripping narrative seen through the lens of madness! In this moment we get to see Arkady, grievously wounded and shaken from visions of his own death, charge the fiend unarmed from the back of his mount and engage in a fierce battle with demons, past and present.

Last edited by 4eyedBadger; Sep 4th, 2021 at 10:02 AM.
Old Sep 4th, 2021, 11:40 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30360
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Player: Therru
Game: Rime of the Frostmaiden
System: D&D 5e
GM: LostCheerio

Background: In this frozen-land 5e adventure, Therru plays the doughty warrior Haela Starshield—a genuine dwarf's dwarf who waxes poetically about battle, stones, forges and armor. Here, she meets a most un-dwarf dwarf, Joachim Ringelnatz, whose airy approach to everything around him chips away at Haela's cornerstone in life—respect for tradition and legacy. Haela holds her own against Joachim's onslaught of foolish notions, but all her foundations threaten to crumble when she takes one bite of Joachim's cookies. Only a dire emergency at the end of the post calls her back into the "safety" of battle's moral certainty and away from the philosophical onslaught of dwarven heresy.

Reason for Nomination: Like the cookie in Haela's hand, Therru's post is a delicious bite, which manages to convey the entire taste of the adventure and the characters of two very opposite-minded dwarves with only a few, powerful crumbs of text.

Last edited by bananabadger; Sep 5th, 2021 at 11:25 AM.
Closed Thread