Game Thread The Far Wood - Page 28 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Hall of Fame > Hall of Fame Games > Reluctant Heroes
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #406  
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 12:55 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

Ulric takes in all Grisvick has to say about Baskurt and Duke Hugarn and he has to agree with Grisvick. "You are right, Grisvick, I do not believe the Duke is a good man, formidable as he sounds. At least he has cast off the Blue Mage and has the good sense to want Miyuki arrested or killed. I know very little about her as of now, but I know the world will be a better place with her gone. It also sounds like it's entirely possible we could wind up on opposite sides in the future. I have to admit, testing myself against you and the Legion has some appeal, I think I would much rather fight alongside you. Speaking of which, I will head back inside and let the captain know you plan to hold the tower, along with the Burger Meister's forces. I will also make sure anyone manning the gate knows to let you in. Good hunting to you both," he says, nodding to both Brovick and Grisvick. "I will find you after the battle and we can drink to our victory."

The meeting concluded, Ulric will head back inside the convent to tell Captain Geen the Legion plans to man the tower and he will make sure the gate guards know to let them in. He will also ask the captain if there is anything else he can do to prepare for the coming battle. If not, he will go in search of Father Zapien.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Ildrahil's Avatar
Ildrahil Ildrahil is offline
Gondolindrim
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 12569
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Posts: 2,998
Farma Ambermantle | Sunsinger Bard | The Parlay
left-aligned image
Farma listens to Grisvick as he explains the situation and then he listens to Ulric respond. He thinks about what was said for the space three, maybe four heartbeats. First he turns to Ulric, "Little do I care if this Duke is a good man or no. That is a concern for the future. Need makes for strange bedfellows. Be one baseborn or noble, Elf, man, or other; this danger will swallow us all. Much like we are here this day. I ken a month ago none us of here thought a day woulds't come when in a tent we'd all sit in parlay; talking about working together to stop an evil intent on killing or subjugating us all."

He takes a deep breath, then Fa looks at Grisvick, "When first we met I told you I would be truthful. Here is truth, I would very much like to not have to face you in battle one day. But, if I do I will use all means at my disposal to kill you and yours. But today, today we are allies and I will use all means at my disposal to kill those arrayed against us, whether here or yon," he indicates a place far away, "at Blaud Hill. For I ken this evil that our enemies plan to unleash will be a bane to us all, mayhap even them. Now, let us all do what we can to stop them."

Fa turns to leave with Ulric, then pauses and turns back to Grisvick, "One more thing Grisvick, regarding Miyuki and House Dagormir, there is a line to bring Miyuki to justice. This line starts behind me. Given the opportunity I would gladly send her to the Halls of Mandos to contemplate her misspent life," he takes a deep breath, "even at the cost of my own. For rather would I die stopping this evil than spend a life as a slave to evil dying in caducity"

Fa ducks his head slightly as he holds open the tent flap and exits the tent. He draws in the fresh air and looks around. Taking in the scene as he walks back to the monastery. He looks up at Ulric, "Ilmari and I are off to Blaud Hill. There is evil to fight there as well. I ken it all needs to be stopped. 'Tis your lot to stop it here I fear."



 


 
__________________
Come back carrying your shield, or on it.
ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

You are right, Fearoma," Ulric says after they leave the meeting with Grisvick, "whether the duke is a good man is not important to our current situation. I have only had two relatively short meetings with Grisvick, so it's telling that he was able to predict how I would feel about the duke. I think it means that I am fairly transparent and the Grisvick is observant and a good judge of character. I probably need to learn to hide my feelings better, but I went into the negotiations with Grisvick intending to be completely honest. One of the Norman knights suggested we keep them in the dark as to how precarious our situation is, but I believe it's a bad idea to lie to someone you hope to have as an ally. Also, I had already met with him the first time when the knight suggested not being completely truthful, so it was too late anyway."

Ulric walks for a short time, gathering his thoughts before continuing. "Hearing about the duke, and how the Sea Griffons have fought him twice, does make me think it's likely we will end up on opposite sides in the future. Grisvick and I getting to know each other a bit can influence how that possible conflict plays out, at least if the two of us have influence over how the battle is fought. My father said it's just as important to know your friends, as it is your enemies. Knowing what both are capable of will make me a better commander."

When Fearoma mentions going to Blaud Hill with Ilmari, Ulric nods. "Hopefully the Reverend Mother will allow the use of the secret way to Blaud Hill because I don't think anyone will be able to get there on the roads. From what I hear, there are plenty of undead in the town, not just the wraith. There's no telling what harm they can cause, but I hope you and Ilmari can find who you are looking for and keep them safe. If we win the fight for the convent and the Oak, I will come to Blaud Hill with what reinforcements I can muster." Ulric stops walking and suddenly looks alarmed. "A thought just occurred to me. I fear that Plomfleet is hold up somewhere, waiting for us to weaken each other enough that he can sweep in with his fresh army and defeat anyone who's left. If we're lucky, the scouts were able to find where he went. Knowing where he is will make me much happier." Ulric starts walking again, hoping to gather the latest intelligence and find out what remains to be done to prepare for the coming battle.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
IlmariThe southern foreigners all backed away from Ilmari, chattering amongst themselves in their odd language. A few made the sign of the cross, staring at him like he was mad and he might be contagious. There fear wasn’t of him, but more of what he might have, like the plague. A flicker of amusement passed over the North Saxon’s flint like eyes, softening them for the moment. A thin smile rose on his face as he tried to keep from laughing at the fearfulness of the others. I am Oslac, says the North Saxon, I had not thought in all my days to meet a “Fox, fallen from the Sky,” Ilmari Far Walker.
Ilmari gets the definite sense Oslac knew he was the whole time and was jesting with him and the southerners. Oslac turns to other three, giving them an obvious command in their own language before turning back to Ilmari, Come Ilmari, I can take you to Deacon Bregwulf and the Reverend Mother Niamh and Sister Claire of Assisi. Take care now they are trying to save the lives of two of the scouts who just came back. Both elves are gravely ill. I am not sure we can save them. “Hag’s Breath,” has caught in their lungs. The other surviving scouts tell of some rather evil things coming at us tonight. White Snakes are bad enough, but the scouts have apparently seen worse. Here, Oslac hands Ilmari a small finger size piece of what looks like soap, dab this under your nose, it helps counteract the smell, says Oslac.
They walk up a newly built ramp, through the still broken gate and into the Courtyard. Ilmari ears instinctively flatten at the scent of fetid corpse flowers and his sense of the malice floating in the air. Feeling it even at this distance in the Courtyard with the Oak, Ilmari can only imagine how bad it must of have been out in the Wood. Shaylyn and Vardariannanur lay crippled and moving awkwardly on the grass. Mother Niamh, a tall Saxon, looking much like Oslac stands next to her. Several other nuns kneel next to the two struggling elves, wet cloths around their faces. A third Sister kneels with them, giving orders in a soft, yet very stern voice. The third sister is short and squat, with rounded cheeks and pale, primrose green eyes. Her slightly reddish brown hair has silver tints at the edges. There could be a touch of elven about her or Fey, Ilmari is not sure.
The taller saxon turns, looks at Ilmari and waves him over. The man’s weather lined face is taut with concern. He is whispering as Ilmari walks up, blinking tears from the stink rolling off Shaylyn and Vardariannanur. He could see their limbs have started twisting like vines, their skin bloating with pus. Vardariannanur keeps trying to stand up and speak with swollen lips the size of sausages. Shaylyn lays, twitching but not of her own accord. She appears trying to stay motionless and focused as the Sisters work on her. Mother Niamh concentrates on holding a Protection of Evil spell over the proceedings, chanting in whispered latin.

OOC- Ilmari SA constitution DC 11 or fall over sick for 1d6 rounds.


Fearoma & Ulric Warriors live by their own codes Ulric, it is not for others to judge us, only our peers can truly do so. says Grisvick. Laufey looks at Grisvick and responds, “And what is good, Phaedrus, And what is not good- Need we ask anyone to tell us these things. She says nothing more, instead turning away to walk back to the Convent. Both Grisvick and Brovik grin and nod their heads, showing their teeth in appreciation. Fearoma and Ulric can tell there is nothing sexual in their appreciation of Laufey, they admire her wisdom and bearing.
Grisvick taps the handle of his sword, grinning at Fearoma, Well Fearoma, count me in line, less you are slow or fall in the attempt. For if that happens, I will have Miyuki’s skull grace the tent of my sister. Ulric, it won’t take more than an hour for two hundred of us to set up in the Convent. One hundred and fifty of us will stay outside. They will fight in the forest alongside the Owlbears. If they must retreat, they will take word to Blaud Hill and Captain Lisvick of what has happened here. Owlbears don’t do well in enclosed spaces and I would have a hard time keeping them from distinguishing friend from foe inside the walls. Owlbears have a particular liking for goblin and humans in fear.
The small group makes their way back across the wide green field. Captain Geen, his wolf cloak flapping in the gentle breeze, stands atop the wall, waiting for them. Carlo and Elledyra stand a few feet behind and to his left. They are both looking at the trees, directly to the West of them. Elledyra is pointing something out to Carlo. Fearoma, following her pointed finger, sees eight, maybe nine White Snakes skulking at the edge of the tree line. The Uroks, for these are large orcs, wearing heavy mail, yet moving with stealth are looking at the Convent. A large bugbear with green plastered hair slicked to his head, stands with them, pointing out something. The WhiteSnakes are roughly three hundred yards from the Parley tent.
Captain Geen comes down the stairs to the see them, his normally stoic face stretched with concern. The scouts have returned with rather grim news. Shaylyn and Vardariannanur got hit hard. I fear they may not live to see the Sun. Captain Geen waits a moment before saying, The priests and Sisters are with them now, trying to save them from "The Hag's Breath" as Sister Claire called it. The Sisters have apparently dealt with it before. They say two of the dryads took ill from it last spring. Both dryads later fell to the Blight. Now, I like Grisvick's thinking. We will have Sir Bandry and his Normans, hold the main gate, while Grisvick and Brogar make a good combination. We have a problem in the Southwest tower. The Scouts say they heard the enemy talking of troglodytes tunneling under that area and will try to surprise attack us from below after the White Snakes initiate their attack.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old Oct 31st, 2022, 11:04 AM
Ildrahil's Avatar
Ildrahil Ildrahil is offline
Gondolindrim
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 31st, 2023
RPXP: 12569
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Posts: 2,998
Farma Ambermantle | Sunsinger Bard | The Parlay
left-aligned image
"Shaylyn and Vardariannanur got hit hard. I fear they may not live to see the Sun" Farma hears Captain Geen say. "A scion of Gondolin? And a Demon huntress of renown? This is grave news indeed and a blow to our cause I fear."

Fa listens as Geen continues to report bad news, "The Scouts say they heard the enemy talking of troglodytes tunneling under that area and will try to surprise attack us from below after the White Snakes initiate their attack." "Is there naught but bad news?" Fa inquires. "It seems our enemy has outmaneuvered us on every flank. I fear for our chances here. Do you have a plan to counter our foes?"

Just then, Narvin runs up to the group, sweat staining his shirt and streaking his unwashed face. He catches his breath and blurts out to Captain Geen and Ulric, "Shaylyn and Vardariannanur fade. Ilmari calls for Farma."

Fa turns to face Narvin, "I am Farma Ambermantle. What need of me does Ilmari have?"

Narvin looks Fa up and down, then simply turns and starts to run. "Follow me," is all he says.

Fa looks at the rest of the group, shrugs, turns, and follows Narvin.



 


 
__________________
Come back carrying your shield, or on it.
ἢ τὰν ἢ ἐπὶ τᾶς
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old Nov 1st, 2022, 12:39 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

Make sure you tell your people that remain outside to be wary of the open areas in front of the convent," Ulric tells Grisvick. "Skaga is going to raise an undead army there and I'm not sure how well they will be able to tell friend from foe, much like the bugbears. Hopefully, they will not have to retreat, but if they do, I hope they have the numbers to get to Blaud Hill."

Entering the convent again, Ulric stops for a moment to talk to whoever is guarding the gate. "A couple hundred soldiers of the Legion will be coming inside the walls to fight with us. Make sure no one gives them any trouble when they enter."

Ulric takes hold of Laufy's hand when he hears about Shaylyn and Darian. He starts to go to them when the final words the captain said penetrate his worry for his friends, and he stops. There is nothing he would rather do than offer comfort to Shaylyn and Darian, but that is all he could do since he doesn't have the skills necessary to actually heal them. He slips his arm around Laufy and pulls her into a hug, as much to comfort himself as her. He steps back after the hug and looks into her eyes. "My heart aches for our friends, and I long to go to them, but I don't have the skills to help them. I must believe that they will live, and right now the best thing I can do is make sure the information they brought us, at such cost, is acted upon. We can't have them survive whatever horror was visited upon them, only for us to be overrun. You should go to them, if you think your healing skills will help." Ulric squeezes her hands once more, then turns to the captain. "How do we deal with the troglodytes? can we collapse the tower onto them, or do we need to give the tower up for lost and move our defensive positions?"


 

 

Last edited by Murdoch; Nov 1st, 2022 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old Nov 2nd, 2022, 02:44 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
UlricCaptain Geen leads Ulric, Laufey, and Carlo up and east along the battlements. Laufey takes his hand, then wraps her arm around his and follows Geen, walking side by side with Ulric, That kind of healing is beyond me Ulric. For now anyway. I doubt if the Reverend Mother, Aeyana, Ethnae and Father Zapien can't heal them, I could either. My place is with you. I believe we make a formidable team with our courage, your axe skills and my enchantments. Once we look over the tower, I will start looking for herbs and doing what I can to counter the Troglodytes stench. Their smell is their greatest weapon. Without it, they are much like tall goblins or weak orcs. Father Liam Lamont joins them, handing them both small leather skins full of liquid. Take these, they are the best we could do in the short time we had. Father Liam stops, pointing back, Look at that! Have you ever seen the like? Looking back, Ulric sees the Iron Fang hobgoblins move across the field. When they reach the base of the southwest tower, they form a pyramid with their bodies that reaches the top of the battlement. Several of them clamber over and throw ropes down for the others and they soon have a pulley system bringing weapons, gear, and other members up to the tower. The Normans stepped back and simply watch with stunned faces. Shaylyn would like to see this. We will have to remember to tell her, says Laufey. Next to her Carlo gives out a low laugh, Tell Shaylyn about that, God's blood Laufey, she is probably the one who taught them. Carlo's voice glows with pride as he laughs and admiringly watches the Iron Fang Soldiers ingenuity. Laufey laughs with him. Father Liam continues watching, crossing himself before saying,Strange to say, but I feel the Saints have blessed us with having them on our side.
Quote:
How do we deal with troglodytes? Can we collapse the tower onto them, or do we need to give the tower up for lost and move our defensive positions?
Captain Geen turns to Ulric, Troglodytes emit an ugly stench that often renders men helpless. They are not that skilled fighters though. Most of them wear little to no armor and carry bone knives and javelins. A few throw darts. Their stench and their numbers are the two things to take into account. We are moving fast here Ulric, but here is what I want to do. I am going to place the Normans on the main gate. I want you and roughly thirty men, some of your choosing, to defend the South Tower and hold off the Trogs as long as you can. Grisvick and the Iron Fangs will hold the South west tower and support the Courtyard with Brogar's slingers and short bowmen. If you have to retreat, the choice is yours to join the Normans or the Iron Fangs. This will keep those two forces separate for the most part, with you, my fine mediator and second in command between them ensuring everyone is killing the right foe. From the South East Tower, if the main gate needs help, you can direct archers from the south battlements to help out or leave them to help defend the Courtyard and the Oak. Since we don't yet know how the enemy will attack. We will have to adjust as the battle flows.
Captain Geen stops talking, stops walking. Carlo and Father Liam keep walking to the South tower battlements. Laufey pauses for a moment, sees something, a nod or hand gesture from Geen and follows them, leaving Geen and Ulric alone. Geen looks to the forest, pointing more with his chin than anything else, Camlin has gone. He is out scouting and linking up with elves coming to aid us. I am not talking about the Dylvana, but other elves of House Ambermantle and their allies. Camlin has gone to find them and bring them here. Help is coming, whether they get here in time to save our pagan lives is another matter entirely. Geen slaps Ulric on the back, touches his spear to Ulric's axe and looks to the rising Moon, gold and slender in the darkening sky.
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old Nov 3rd, 2022, 03:22 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

Ulric is sad that Laufy doesn't believe she can aid in the effort to heal Shaylyn and Darian, but he is pleased that she will remain with him.

My place is with you. I believe we make a formidable team with our courage, your axe skills and my enchantments.

Ulric smiles and gives Laufy a little one-armed hug at hearing her words. "I agree, our place is together. I have faith that Shaylyn and Darian will be cured and that we will hold the convent. After that, I hear there are undead rampaging through Blaud Hill. We could always go lend a hand there, if we're looking for something to do to keep busy," he says, chuckling.

Ulric takes the skin from Father Liam with a grateful nod. "Do we drink all of this ourselves, father, or is there enough to share with those who will be holding the tower with us?" Turning, he watches the Legion scale the wall in a manner he would have not thought possible and he laughs along with Carlo and Laufy, noting that this is the first time he has heard Carlo laugh. "I guess I didn't need to tell the guards manning the gate not to give the Legion any trouble." Not for the first time, Ulric is glad the Legion is on their side. If he does ever find himself on opposite sides from the Legion, he will remember that trick. Fending off a handful of scaling ladders is hard enough, but stopping the enemy from scaling the walls using their own bodies as the ladder is a whole different thing.

Ulric listens to Captain Geen give him the battle plan and almost misses it when Geen calls him his second in command. The captain keeps talking about the battle and doesn't draw attention to his words. Ulric knew the captain trusted him, but he didn't know just how much. Since Geen doesn't mark the occasion, Ulric takes his que from him and doesn't acknowledge it wither, but he can't stop a smile from turning the corners of his mouth up, at least briefly. He will do everything in his power to justify Captain Geen's trust in him. "I would like to have Carlowith me, as well as Vilhelm Vidderitch, Moise, Ceo-Wulf, Ragar, and Govaert, captain, as well as anyone else you think would be a good fit. Since we know where the Troglodytes are coming from, we can hopefully narrow the battlefield with some sort of barricades. If we construct them correctly they will give Carlo and a few other bowmen decent fields of fire. I will get those who will be fighting with me working on erecting those right away. I will also send someone to get as many oil flasks as they can find, as well as some torches. If we get lucky, we can get some fire down in their tunnel. The fire itself should slow their advance and filling their tunnel with smoke should leave them even more vulnerable. And if we can't get it into their tunnel, then setting some of them on fire out in the open should be a great way to hurt their morale."

Once everyone walks away, Captain Geen tells Ulric they may have more allies on the way. "That is good news, captain. From what I hear, if anyone can speed them along, Camlin can." Captain Geen's spear touches the head of Ulric's axe with a quiet clang and Ulric grins at the captain. "Look at it this way, sir. We shall have a target rich environment, all the better for me to win a fancy dagger off an arrogant Norman." He looks at the moon with the captain for a few moments, then he turns walks off, calling out for the soldiers he mentioned to Captain Geen as wanting by his side. Once they gather, together with the remainder that the captain sends his way, he tells them about the troglodytes and his plan for stopping them. Then they get to work creating a barricade out of whatever they can fine and he sends a couple of them off to get as much oil as they can find, and some sort of fabric so they can create fire bombs. Once that is all under way, he will send a message to Grisvick to alert him about the troglodytes.


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
UlricUlric, these skins are for whoever is wounded, to aid them as you see fit. If that is yourself, okay then, or for Laufey or myself, all the better, Father Liam grins. Ulric recognizes the joke. Father Liam has proven to be one of the most selfless and honorable people Ulric has ever met. Father Liam and Vicar Odo are two of the most decent and honorable people he has yet to know. Neither of them have ever held his own beliefs against him. What counted for them, was his honor and his decency. Thinking more, he knows in his bones that both men would die before allowing anything to happen Laufey.

Captain Geen smirks a bit when Ulric asks for Carlo, Of course you can have the Genoan. He is good in tight quarters and as steady as stone. Captain Geen's look, tells Ulric that the Captain would have chosen Carlo too. CeoWulf is one of the Scouts. He is still recovering with Nemela from their outing. Govaert stays with me. We will need her to hold the Courtyard Gate. I will give you the four dwarves, tunnel work is there forte'. Moise and Vilhelm are not mine to command, but I think they will go once I speak to them. Strangely enough, a number of the Sister's can shoot crossbows. The late Mother Agness de Moss put that in as part of their training. I am sad I never got to me this "Agness de Moss," she strikes me as a most far seeing and formidable woman. My advice, talk to the dwarves before making your strategy. I will send them to you. We have a few hours to prepare. I doubt the WhiteSnakes and their Hag allies will attack before Midnight.
Captain Geen turns and walks rapidly away towards the Courtyard, leaving Ulric alone, for the moment.
That doesn't last long though, ten minutes maybe, pass before four dwarves appear on the battlement. Ulric recognizes Hoegum Ravensdor. He and the thin dwarf, who wears glasses worked well together in Slepnir's Keep. Walking beside Hoegum are two other dwarves wearing splint armor and carrying mattocks rather than axes or swords. Gullveig, who Ulric knows is skilled with a crossbow and Lonni Firehair, a dwarf he knows is skilled with axes, throwing them or wielding them. He realizes they are both female, how unusual that must be. The fourth dwarf, Valin Surehand of the StoneBanners has blond hair and blue eyes, an oddity among dwarves. Ulric has never met him.
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 12:12 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

Ulric grins at Father Liam's joke and shakes the holy man's hand when he is handed the healing potion. "Thank you, father. It has been a pleasure getting to know you these past days. I shall find you when this battle is over and we will toast to our victory." Meeting men like Father Liam and Vicar Odo, among the more closed minded Normans, has been a joy he hadn't been looking for. It's men like them who should be in charge of the Western Church. He believes they would root out the corruption and preach a more inclusive message. He hopes that both men survive the coming battle.

Captain Geen discusses which people Ulric can have to help defend against the Troglodytes. He didn't think he would be able to have everyone he requested, but he is quite pleased that Carlo will be with him. Killing the trogs from a distance will be important, since their odor can apparently disable an opponent, so having Carlo, and, quite surprisingly, several Sisters who can shoot, will be very helpful. Bows aren't his weapon of choice, but he will send someone to find one for him, and some arrows to go with it, since he gave his to Shaylyn. "I am sad I didn't get to meet Mother Agnes as well, captain. Anyone who was able to broker a peace among the various people of this area, and make it stick until she was murdered, would have been quite a force." After agreeing to send the dwarves to him, which is something Ulric should have thought to ask for himself, the captain leaves to make more preparations for the defense of the convent. Ulric is only alone for a few minutes before the dwarves arrive. When they show up he greets them all with a firm handshake.

"The captain said there are Troglodytes tunneling into this area near the tower and we need to defend against them. I am told they are poor fighters, but they have a odor that can take out their enemies. I would like your advice on how to best prepare defense against them, with an eyes towards bottling them up and winnowing them down with missile weapons before they can get close, if at all possible. Captain Geen feels we have a couple of hours before they attack, so we are in a bit of a rush, but I want you to take all the time you need to look the area over. I would rather be a little rushed in putting together our defenses than have plenty of time but miss something important."


 

 

Last edited by Murdoch; Nov 7th, 2022 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 04:39 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
UlricYou won't need to look far Ulric, Vicar Odo and I plan to fight at your side. If we are to fall this night, Father Liam pauses for a moment, then I would fall among friends. Father Liam Lamont gives Ulric a resolute look before smiling again, saying, What have we to fear, the Slope Hollow Militia is here! Father Liam never says goblins or mentions Brogar's name, but Ulric can tell the good father is thinking of, and saying prayers for them.

Ulric greets the dwarves, all of them except Lonni Firehair he has fought beside. He knows Valin Surehand as more a lock picker and trap remover, than a fighter. Ulric has never actually seen the blond dwarf in a fight. He hasn't seen Lonni Firehair fight, but Captain Geen and Ceo-Wulf both speak well of her. Hoegum he knows is a thinking fighter and a skilled healer. Gullveig he has seen fight. Next to Carlo, she is the best crossbow shooter he has ever seen. She is also quite skilled at hand to hand with both knuckle knives and axes.
The four dwarves gather around him, looking up, their faces a pale shine in the growing darkness. Valin and Lonni start debating how to set up and what hallway to pinch, when Hoegum's thin, quiet, humble voice silences them. Captain Ulric Sir, I think it best to meet them in their own tunnel. If we can push them back even before the initial assault, we can collapse the tunnel and end the threat for a day or two. If we can't push them back, we can try to bottle them up there and not have to worry about defending corridors or rooms. We could even consider counter-attacking along their tunnel. The more time we spend fighting away from the Convent, the better. Lonni Firehair is the first of the dwarves to get the significance of what Hoegum is saying. She is almost laughing when she claps Hoegum on the shoulder, I think he has the right of it Captain Ulric. If they dig one tunnel, which I suspect they are doing, then we only have one tunnel to defend.
Vicar Odo and young Kenneth Lamont have quietly joined them. Ulric can see young Kenneth trying to grasp what the dwarves are saying. Vicar Odo is already nodding his head in agreement. Vicar Odo looks at Ulric, letting Ulric know the paladin agrees with Hoegum's strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
UlricHearing that Father Liam and Vicar Odo will be fighting with them brings a smile to Ulric's face. "That's great news, Father. You and Odo are most welcome."

When the four Dwarves arrive Ulric is filled with confidence. He hasn't seen all of them fight, but he knows they are a formidable force, both for their skill in battle and for their intelligence and healing skills. With their knowledge of rocks and mining, he thinks they will be able to offer a sturdy defense tot he Troglodyte attack. The Dwarves start offering ideas on the best defense when Hoegum quietly suggests they take the fight to the Troglodytes in their own tunnel. He is immediately taken aback by the idea, not because it's bad, but because he should have thought of it himself. He was so focused on defending the convent from within that he just never thought of going on the offensive. While it's true that he doesn't have the expertise to find the Troglodyte tunnel to take the fight to them, he should have thought of seeking out the dwarves as soon as he heard about the tunnel. He is kicking himself mentally for being so dull witted that he never thought of it, but he does his best to keep his reaction from showing. he almost admits to his shortcomings to those around him, but stops himself before he starts talking. His father always said a leader needed to project confidence, even if he didn't feel it, because the people he was leading needed to believe in him. So Ulric keeps his shortcomings to himself and he chuckles and slaps Hoegum on the shoulder in stead.

"That's a great idea, Hoegum. I will get some people working on setting up fortified fall back positions, in case they are needed, and I will accompany you and the rest of you with mining and tunneling experience and we will see if we can find the Troglodyte tunnel. Laufy should be back soon, hopefully with various herbs that will help us deal with the Troglodyte stench. Once she returns, and we have located where we need to dig to reach their tunnel, we can take the fight to the invaders."

Ulric will have some people start working on the fall back positions he mentioned and he will send word to Captain Geen about the search for the tunnel. If something goes wrong, he will need to know what they were doing. He will also leave word for Laufy so she will know where to find him when she gets back. Everyone else will go with the Dwarves to look for the best way to get to the Troglodytes. It might be a bit crowded, but he wants to make sure he has enough people with him to slow the Trogs down in the event the launch their assault early.

Last edited by Murdoch; Nov 10th, 2022 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 05:41 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
Ulric Ulric outlines his plan and with the dwarves leading, the small group heads out. Vicar Odo and Sir Kenneth stay right with Ulric. Carlo and Gullveig let the others move ahead as they start planning their positions and setting up traps and clear lanes of fire. Valin Surefoot takes the lead with Lonni Firehair right behind in support. Hoegum stays behind Ulric with Father Liam next to him. The rest of the group consists of five Normans Ulric has not yet met and seven Danes including Ragar, Rek, and Toti. Ulric has fought alongside of three of them. They are all reliable, steadfast warriors.

The Southwest Tower has four stories plus the top battlement that has a dome roof. From there a wooden ladder takes them to the third floor with several rooms and two open spaces, like a common area. The floor reminds Ulric of a barracks or servants quarters. A proper stair leads to the second floor, which looks like one large storage room with stairs going down across the room on the other side of the stairs connecting the third and second floors. Large bundles of carpet and old furniture wrapped in dust covers take up most of the room. The place has a musty smell, but no dust or cobwebs. There is plenty of heavy furniture here to use if needed. The second floor also has arrow slits and spouts for pouring hot water or lead onto attacking foes.
Taking a set of wide, stone steps they reach the ground floor and a stable area for horses and small coaches. There is one sumpter wagon loaded with bales of winter hay still in the stable area and the tack room is full of gear and oils and salves for curing, cleaning, and caring for horses and harness.
They actually have to go outside the Tower to a storeroom next door to reach the stairs going down beneath the tower itself. Valin looks up at Urlic, This is not unusual for something humans have built. I have also seen evidence of gnome craft. That means there other doors we will have to find in order to secure the place properly. I have never known gnomes to build just one door into a place.

The storeroom next door is full of large iron cauldrons, copper pots, candelabra, sconces, and numerous other pieces Ulric can't identify. Lonni looks around, sniffing and smiling, A candlemaker's store room. This bodes well. We shouldn't have trouble finding things to light on fire. Hoegum and Valin both laugh as they look around, assessing everything. Hoegum stays behind with Father Liam, looking the room over as Ulric and the others reach the stairs going down. These stairs are also made of stone with rounded edges on the steps and recently polished bannisters of smooth, well worn wood.
Valin and Lonni lead the way down, moving slower now and with more wariness. The bottom door is locked and barred from this side. Seeing that, Lonni raises an eyebrow before helping Valin remove the bar and open the door. Cold air rushes out, smelling of damp stone and mildew. Valin lights a torch, revealing a rectangular room sixty feet by sixty feet. The room is full of long wooden tables with flower pots and long garden boxes covering them. Sacks of soil and manure lay under the tables. In one corner is a standing tool cabinet, full of shovels, rakes, picks, hoes, small hammers and boxes of nails and clips for holding flowers or other plants to trellis'. Next to the Closet are several trellis made of thin wood, all five feet high.
Valin holds up his hand for quiet and starts a slow walk around the room. Every few feet he bends down, putting his ear to the floor. He is close the south wall, almost in the middle of the room when he holds his hand up, motioning for silence and then quietly brushes the floor and starts drawing in the cleared area with white chalk.
Ulric feels the hair on his arms bristle, a tingling sensation runs up his spine. Vicar Odo reaches out, touching Ulric with one hand while drawing his sword with the other. Ulric feels a bit uncomfortable as Odo's spell covers him in a thin layer of frost that quickly disappears.

OOC-Ulric roll for spot and listen, then initiative and attack rolls.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old Nov 17th, 2022, 04:21 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 10360
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 2,148
Ulric

Ulric examines the tower as the go through it with an eye for defense. He is not thrilled at the thought of being walled up in the tower and swarmed with enemies, but the stairs and doorways can be easily defended and the ladder can be raised up to the battlement, which would give them an advantage. Holding the battlement gives them a great place for archers to fire on enemies down in the courtyard as well. The third floor being an open area is not ideal, but if they are retreating up the tower anyway they might as well just keep heading for the battlement at that point. From the ground floor Ulric issues orders to those not heading below with them. "I would like to have several ropes tied off on the battlements and long enough to reach the ground. If we have to retreat to the top of the tower I want to have a way off in case we need it. The third floor will be hard to defend, since it's just one large open space, but some of the furniture could be useful. I want a couple of the large pieces hauled to the third floor and set near the door. We can use them to barricade the door to buy us some time. do the same with the door on the second floor as well. I want to buy us as much time as possible in the event we have to retreat."

Taking a little time to look around the ground floor, Ulric will grab up any oil that will burn and pass it around so everyone has some, if possible. Once outside, Ulric scowls when Valin mentions other doors into the tower that they don't yet know about. "I don't like the sound of that, but if we don't know bout the doors, hopefully the troglodytes don't either. Once we get a look at the situation underground, I'd like you to come back up and look for those doors. Once we know where all of them are we can prepare to defend them."

When Hoegum and Father Liam remain in the candlemaker's room, Ulric gives them something to do as well. "I'd like you two to find anything that will readily burn and bring it downstairs. If the troglodytes' tunnel comes up in the basement we will hold them as long as we can, but starting a fire will give us time to retreat, if that becomes necessary. If we can get fire down into their tunnel, and secure the door leading up to the ground level, the smoke might do a lot of our work for us."

The cold air chills Ulric's cheeks and nose as he enters the underground chamber, reminding him a little of the cold winds from back home, minus the smell of mildew. He is trying to think of a way to defend this room when Valin holds up a hand and starts to slowly walk around the room, listening for sounds of digging. After a while he draws on the floor where Ulric assumes he hears something. Odo touches him and he feels cold for e moment, then the spell settles in and he doesn't feel it anymore. He nods at the Vicar in acknowledgement and turns to one of the Normans he has not met before and talks to him quietly. "If we start fighting the Troglodytes, I need you to go back up and alert the others that we have made contact with the enemy. Also, get word to Captain Geen, as he will need to know that battle has started. Then come back down here and join in the fun." The last is said with a grin as he readies his axe and looks and listens for signs of the enemy, ready to attack any that show themselves.


 


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Rasgorn's Avatar
Rasgorn Rasgorn is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 30th, 2023
RPXP: 13061
Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn Rasgorn
Posts: 4,447
UlricUlric turns to the Norman soldier, the hair rises on his arms as a burst of lightning smacks Vicar Odo right in the chest, knocking back five feet where he falls and rolls to the wall. Vicar Odo's armor is sizzling and the smell of melting steel fills the room, along with blood and the sound of screaming. The attack is so sudden, Ulric hasn't time to think, only to react. The Norman next to him falls over, a barbed arrow sticking out of his mouth. The man's eyes grow wide for a moment, then become narrow and lifeless as the man falls over dead. Ulric feels a sharp burning along his ribs. He has been shot! The arrow is sticking out. Ulric blocks a second arrow with his axe and sees a figure emerging from the wall. Not emerging, more like becoming visible after blending like a chameleon to the stone. The creature looks human with dark black hair and gold colored eyes. He has scales along his neck though and the ears, the ears are inside the head like those of a snake. He wears smooth, green colored leather armor and swings a scimitar at Ulric. Ulric deftly blocks the first blow but is caught by surprise by the speed of this foe. Ulric pushed the blade away and the 'man' simply reversed motion and stabbed Ulric in the shoulder with the hilt of the blade. Ulric followed his parry with an upper cut that took the lizard like man right under the ribs and lifted him off his feet. Ulric felt the ribs crack and give way as his blade sliced completely through the foe. As the lizard like man staggered back, gushing a viscous greenish yellow liquid, Ulric brought his axe down, cleaving the lizard man from nose to navel. The dead thing easily slid off his axe.

Vicar Odo was still on the ground. He was holding his shield over him as another foe slashed at him with a bronzed colored sabre. This foe, like the other, looked mostly human. He was completely bald and muscular looking. His skin rippled with scales and his eyes were more slitted than a humans. For a moment, the thing reminded Ulric of Ninzarina. He could hear more wailing around him.
Behind him, Valin's headless body lay on the floor, his head several feet away. Lonni Firehair had three arrows sticking from her shield and another through her forearm. She stood over Valin's body, fighting another of the Snake People, only this one wielded a falcata type sword with elvish runes glowing up and down the blade. Another Norman was on his butt, trying to scoot out of the room and hold his stomach where he had been shot with an arrow.
He heard a loud hiss as one of Carlo's bolts hit a foe Ulric couldn't see.

OOC-Ulric took 7 points of damage from the arrow and 3 points of damage from the blade. The Snake warriors are not particularly strong or heavy, but they are fast, each attacking twice. Ulric can't see who is shooting arrows, but he can see the Snake Warrior on Odo and Lonni and can attack either of them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB