Game Thread Chapter 0: Escape - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 11:37 AM
Silent Rain's Avatar
Silent Rain Silent Rain is online now
Neighborhood Mind Flayer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 20579
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Posts: 8,536
Chapter 0: Escape

Ship's Hold - Day 1You sway with the rocking of the ship, having already become accustomed to its movements days ago. How long you have been locked in the hold of the ship is difficult to tell, what without being able to see the rising and setting of the sun. The cries and moaning of those around you have mostly stopped, but some still cry out against the situation they now face.

The smell of barnacles clinging to the hull of the ship and the salt on the sea air mixes with the putrid smell hanging heavy in the dark hold. The few shafts of light that manage to sneak through the deck planks above, reveal swirls of mist that ride the rank air. Vomit and human excrement spill from the few buckets that had been left on the floor, though these had filled up days ago, with no sign of anyone coming to change them.

Despite how cramped you all are now, there had been even more poor souls resigned to your fate at the start of your journey. Whether through sickness, attempting to escape, or taking one's own life, the result was the same, and those that remained were left to wonder if they weren't the lucky ones.

Several guards open the hatch above once a day in an explosion of light that sears the eyes of those below. They carry out the bodies of the dead and deposit a bucket of gruel and water. There is never enough of either for everyone and fighting is common. After the guards leave, you can just make out the sound of the bodies hitting the water below, and it is difficult not to think that you all will meet the same fate.

Today is no different. You can hear the latches being unlocked a few moments before the starboard and port side doors open and a guard appears on either set of steps. One carries a bucket in each hand. From experience, you know that one contains water and the other a gruel. It tastes horrible, but no one has gotten sick from it, at least.

The other guard brandishes a curved blade. From the look on his face, he would require little reason to use it.

After the buckets have been deposited on the floor, the guards retreat once more back up the stairs, and you can hear the latches once again locking behind them. Above, through an opening in the ceiling you can see the planks being removed from the grates set into the main deck high above. Light pours down into the hold, and even those out of the direct sunlight are forced to shield their eyes from the pain of the light.

After your eyes adjust, you can make out the silhouette of several bodies that appear to be leaning over the grate, peering down.



OOCWelcome to Xoth! You have two goals: survive and escape.

In each of your posts, please provide an OOC section that summarizes any actions, rolls, checks, etc. that your characters are making.

BoundAlthough none of you are restrained to the walls or floor, you each have your hands bound with rope, tied in an expertly done knot. It would require a difficult DC16 Str check to try and break free.

Any Str or Dex checks (including attack rolls, AC, Stealth checks, etc.) suffer a -2 penalty while bound.


SustenanceThe guards have left you a bucket of food and water. For whatever reason, there is only enough for half of you. You have a choice: attempt to muscle your way to the buckets and get some food and water, or stay safely away from the scuffle.

Anyone attempting to get some food and drink will need to make an attack roll using Str or Dex (be sure to subtract the -2 from this if you are bound). I will be using these rolls to determine who gets some. Those that tried and failed to get food, will suffer 1d4 damage from getting hurt. Anyone that doesn't ear, either because they could not get any food, or chose not to try, will suffer 1 level of
Level Effect
1 Disadvantage on ability checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death.
exhaustion
.

The GuardsFrom what you can tell, the guards seem to have a tanned complexion. Their pants are of various colors and those that do wear shirts, both men and women alike, often wear nothing more than a plain vest or loose shirt. They sport gold piercings in their ears, noses, and various other parts of their bodies. Most have ivory-hilted knives protruding from belts or sashes worn about their waist.

For those that speak it, you can make out a few words they speak in a unique dialect of Susrahnian.

For those that have ever seen them, there can be no doubt that you are in the hold of a Khoran ship. The Sea Reavers, known throughout Xoth as the most dangerous pirates to sail the Eastern Ocean.


InspirationIf you feel that your character is doing something that would warrant inspiration (based on your culture), please indicate that in the OOC section of your post.
__________________
Planned GM Updates: Chthonian Star: Thursdays | Xoth: Tuesday/Friday | Blackguard: Wednesday | Coriolis: Monday
Applications Open: Call from the Deep (5e)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 12:33 PM
Hal Hammerhand's Avatar
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand is online now
Humble Tavernkeeper
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 2456
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Posts: 1,557
The Beast:
right-aligned image

Roldar had been betayed, captured by the Zadjite and sold back to his own people, although he didn't take any of his crewmates for the loyal sort, a coin is a coin philosophy shouldn't have been a prevailing one, he felt. With a sour rock in his gut since he had awoken and realized that his own people were the ones holding him,
Dice Athletics:
1d20+2 (8)+2 Total = 10
he had been working at the bonds. Despite not being restrained within the hold itself, he preferred being unbound altogether.

With the ropes holding thus far, he was forced to manage and being larger than some of the others, he took his chances against the other rushing forward. He
Dice Attack:
1d20+2 (19)+2 Total = 21
swung his burly arms, using his bound hands more like a hammer as he shouldered into the others, attempting to push and pummel his way to the horrible gruel. He attempted not to let the light from the hatch above distract him, he had to keep his strength if he wished to survive and pay back his treacherous kin.
Actions:
-Struggles with his binds.
-Makes a rush for the food.

 



The Beauty:
right-aligned image

Niala wasn't completely unfamiliar with the ways of being a slave, little food, little care but unfortunately, she had neve hard to try this hard to get food. In the darkness, she longed for her master and even more for Gorac, although, she assumed he might be dead. She wondered how the colorful pirates that held them would make any money if half of the slaves died but that only kept her mind off her growling stomach.

She didn't make an attempt for the food, she was far too small and meek to have fought her way past the other hungry souls, she hoped that she could last a little longer, being used to the life of a slave while the others were experiencing it for the first time. When the hatch was opened, she hoped that they had finally made landfall and she would be sold to someone who would feed her a better than her current captors but because of the darkness below that she had grown used to, she
Dice Stealth:
2d20kh1 7, 16 (keeping 16) Total = 16
pushed herself against the wall and crouched between the ribs of the hull as she raised her bound hands reflexively to block the light until her eyes could adjust.
Actions:
-1 level of ExhaustionWaiting for the others to kill themselves.
-Crouching away from the light.

 

__________________
Recruiting for M&M, The All-seeing Eye

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 12:38 PM
BattleFries's Avatar
BattleFries BattleFries is offline
Dark Advisor
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2872
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Posts: 2,106
And Here I Am AgainHunger was not a new experience for Ganzar, but these particular slavers seemed to exploit it exceptionally well as a tool to cut the wheat from the chaff. It would take brains and brawn to survive this ride to even live to fight again, and that was on the off chance that whomever purchased Ganzar was interested in him fighting. He had been sold in part because Taikangians were seen as exotic in the west. 'Luxury merchandise' or so he'd heard, especially when it came to pleasure slaves.

Ganzar hoped that if he had to be sold again, it would be for fighting. He wasn't the best, but he was good enough, and he knew how to work with the ones who ran the gambling so that he could either throw a fight or else have a fight thrown for him and make it look convincing. This stint of slavery in particular was unpleasant since he felt especially lonely. The taskmasters here were harsher than most, and even asking to see if any of these western-looking captives alongside him spoke any language he understood, he didn't want to draw a target to himself.

Hunger was a powerful weapon, and it was working. Ganzar could hang on maybe until the next round of gruel without eating, but for now, he would let the others eat. Once the planks overhead came off, and the crew began staring down, Ganzar put his head down into his knees and made a point of staying put. He would watch as the others scrambled for the meager food, and he would observe their tactics. There would be fewer of them next time - assuming the ship didn't take on more cargo - and his chances at getting food the next time would go up that much more.

Ganzar knew that the next portion of gruel would be even smaller to fit the smaller pool of survivors, but he was too hungry and tired to think on that point too much. He would be smart about this, and he'd survive. That's what he told himself, at least.

Ganzar
left-aligned image

STR 11 + 2 (Savage)13 (+1) | DEX 10 (0) | CON 12 (+1) | INT 12 (+1) | WIS 9 (-1) | CHA 11 (0)
HP 8/8 | AC: 11 - 2 (Bound)9 | Passive Perception: (9 if no proficiency at level 0)11 | Status: Disadvantage on ability checksExhaustion Lvl 1, -2 to STR and DEX rolls, including attacks and ACBound
Natural +1 bonus to ACSturdy | Advantage on Perception checksFeral | Disadvantage on attacks vs aberrations, fiends, and undeadSuperstitious | Taikangian, Bhangari (racial bonus), Sushrahnite (INT bonus)Languages | Acrobatics, Performance, PerceptionProficiencies
Trait ~ Insults are the most telling sort of icebreakers, and I enjoy hearing new ones directed at me.
Ideal ~ People are who they are, and there's little sense trying to change them. Deal with what's in front of you, be it a mask or a true face.
Bond ~ I want to ride the currents of a life beyond my control and see all that I can see in whatever time life grants me.
Flaw ~ I don't tend to take anything very seriously, and I am too content to let others dictate my life rather than take charge myself, preferring to just go with the flow.
By Popular Demand ~ Can barter gladiatorial performance for room and board where applicable.
Entertainer/Gladiator

 



Gruel Is Not True Power, But It Will DoMara had thought that her parents had done her a kindness by not having her executed. The Telamir family had kept slaves, and Mara had thought she understood what went into breaking them so that they obeyed without hesitation. Those illusions had been stripped from her some time ago, and she could no longer tell how long that was. The Telamirs had not been merciful, not at all, but they had ensured that Mara was alive. She understood that this was a trial that she had to endure, but she had not been at all prepared for the intensity of what she was being forced to endure.

Mara had thought that her looks would make her a sought-after commodity for many a buyer, but these particular slavers seemed not to care about such things. None of them used her for themselves, probably so as not to damage the merchandise, but neither had they sold her yet. No, they were amassing a greater cargo. So many others had been brought below deck to where Mara sat in squalor, and so many had died since then, from hunger or to her fellow slaves who competed with each other for the gruel that passed for food here. It must have been raw nutrients and nothing more, as those who ate it survived, and those who didn't perished.

It was a cunning tactic, only providing enough food for half of the slaves. It let their masters see what they were capable of before they sold them. Would they use guile to wait while the others killed themselves, or would they prove strong and agile enough to keep themselves fed? This was just a test of their worth as merchandise, and while it would be utterly humiliating, there was no depth of depravity to which Mara Telamir would not sink to ensure her own survival. And then, one day, she would emerge from this hell hole with true power to make these slavers piss their pants with fear, and she would revel in it.

Then the planks came off from above, and for the first time in she didn't know how long, Mara saw daylight. It wasn't for their benefit, not the slaves. No, this was so they could see their meal easier, and so their captors could observe this test and tally the results accordingly.

Mara was hungry. She had been accustomed to a life without want before, and while she had fasted at times as an acolyte, she had never had hunger combined with these cruel conditions, and she would suffer this indignity no longer. She was Mara Telamir, she had stared into the hidden depths of the stars above, she had heard the eldritch voices promise her power, and she would not be denied!

Leaping forward as fast as she could, Mara grasped for a mere handful of gruel with her bound hands while she swept her legs around her like in her youthful dance lessons to keep any would-be competitors at bay. The moment the window of opportunity closed, she retreated one step backward to remove herself from the fray while she checked her bound hands for something - anything - worth eating. And hoping above hope, she prayed that none of the others had injured her too severely in the mad scrabble for sustenance. She was too hungry to notice if she had been truly hurt, but she imagined that she would know soon enough.

Devouring whatever it was in her hands, even if it was just thin air, she gulped it down before anyone could take it from her, and then she quickly retreated back to where she had been seated in her own little spot against the inside of the ship's hull, and she tried to hide her face behind her long, black hair. Her beauty would not serve her well here, but would instead make her a target. All the same, she might also be underestimated because of it. Time would tell, one way or another.

Mara Telamir
left-aligned image

STR 10 (0) | DEX 15 (+2) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 16 (+3) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 15 + 2 (Decadent)17 (+3)
HP 8/8 | AC: 12 - 2 (Bound)10 | Passive Perception: 11 | Status: -2 to STR and DEX rolls, including attacks and ACBound
Advantage on Deception and Stealth skill checks; +1d6 sneak attack damage if Mara has Sneak AttackInsidious | Advantage on saving throws against poisonJaded | Disadvantage on WIS saving throwsCorrupt | [/B] Taraamite, Sushrahnite (racial bonus), Nabastissean (INT bonus), Lamuran (INT bonus), Yar-Ammonite (INT bonus)Languages | History, Persuasion, Deception, StealthProficiencies
Trait ~ My blood doesn't make me who I am. By my words and deeds will you know me as someone to gaze upon with wonder and fear.
Ideal ~ I have tasted true power, and I want and need more. It is my right, and I will have it no matter what.
Bond ~ The unknowable power behind the faces and voices in the stars of the night sky will guide me to my destiny, and I will pay whatever price they demand.
Flaw ~ I remember the concept of empathy, but I don't feel it anymore. Even my pride in my family name is a dedication to a prominent transaction and little else. I live for myself, and everyone else is a means to an end.
Noblewoman

 

__________________
"Truth, my dear doctor, is in the eye of the beholder. I never tell the truth because I don't believe there is such a thing." -Elim Garak
~ ~ ~
By my solemn vow, I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by BattleFries; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 02:32 PM
Kepheren's Avatar
Kepheren Kepheren is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 1797
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Posts: 1,226
Framadin - Lvl 0 (HP: 6/6 | AC 9 | Status: Normal Token: 13)
right-aligned image


Framadin hadn't been here so long as some of the others but still long enough to yearn to escape. This was no fit place for a nomad who was born to travel the world freely. But here he was and he needed to be smart in order to escape this fate.

For today he wouldn't fight for what passed for food here. No, instead he would watch and listen. As luck would have it he could understand some of what the guards said. Instead of jumping into the fray he would peer out at their captors and try to glean some hint of weakness. Like the serpent he would bide his time and strike when it would be most likely to succeed.

Hidden at the back of the group, he studied his surroundings for any word or action that might give a hint that would aid his escape.
Dice Roll:
1d20+1 (11)+1 Total = 12
Perception Roll As he studies his surroundings Framadin stays hunched over, struggling with his bonds. If he can get his hands untied and keep it hidden for the time being it would give him an advantage the next time their captors came down to feed them.
Dice Roll:
1d20-1 (14)-1 Total = 13
Strength Check


Framadin Ooc:Strength check is +1 for stat 2 for being bound. For the perception check he has the skill so that is a +1 for his wisdom modifier. Since he can understand the guards to some degree he will watch and listen for any information that might aid their escape while he tries to get his hands free.


Omar Lvl 0 (HP: 8/8 | AC 9 | Status: Normal Token 14)
right-aligned image


Omar had no intention of dying in the hold of this ship. His primary focus was on survival and after that escape. In order to accomplish the later he had to keep his mind on the former. If his strength failed him then he might well be the next one their captors was throwing overboard to feed the sharks. With that in mind he pushed his way forward and fought for whatever scrap of food he could get.
Dice Roll:
1d20-1 (7)-1 Total = 6
Strength Check

Retreating into the crowd after he eats whatever he was able to grab and tries to get his hands loose. He would have no chance of fighting his way to freedom while still bound. If he gets half an opening though he hoped to be able to take out the man with the sword and then use it to kill the other. After that the plan wasn't very clear but he had to start somewhere.
Dice Roll:
d20-1 (15)-1 Total = 14
Second Strength Check


Omar Ooc:Omar is fighting to stay fed and strong. Once he has grabbed any food he was able to he will try to get his hands free. So far the sum total of his plan is to try and get the sword away from the one man if he gets a chance. The rest of it he will kind of wing if given the opportunity. Both of his strength checks is a minus 1. Strength bonus is +1 but that -2 for being currently bound is a killer.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 03:16 PM
Drachenspirit's Avatar
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 29609
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Posts: 24,694
Token 31
right-aligned image
Shenda sees the food coming down and tries to wrestle out of her bounds to no avail. She swears softly and then speaks in Taraamite to the five others near her - Kathra, Shenda, Gren, Chamta, Iun and Noemi. Others could hear her, but she knew all but Noemi could understand her. As she did she nodded to the more cheerful Kathra across the way and then to Noemi, so Kathra would translate.

"I'm going for the food. No offense if anyone else does, but I've go some skills with hiding things if we ever get our hands on a weapon to escape, so I need to stay strong for us all. If I get some, I'll go for someone else next time. Maybe we'll draw straws for it." While that may be true on one level, it didn't help anyone else get fed right now.

She moved to the bucket, intent on getting some of the nasty, but hunger abating gruel.

 


Token 32
right-aligned image
Kathra listened to the shady Shenda across from her speak in the woman's own native tongue. It gave away that Shenda was of those lands due to her accent, or rather not having one in the dialect.

She then spoke in the Yar-Ammonite, her own native tongue, and both Iun, and Noemi understood. It meant that Iun had heard it twice, what Shenda had planned. Kathra then said in Yar-Ammonite, "I am doing the same. I'll draw straws to see who gets my portion next time as well."
She then repeated exactly the same thing in the Taaramite tongue and leapt up to go for the food this day.

She had tried to get out of her bonds earlier but had failed, so she didn't try again. She was smaller, so she wasn't sure if in this case it was an advantage or not.
She decided "not."
 

__________________
Posting Status: Caught up? If I need to post or reply in a game as DM/GM, or as a player, please PM me.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Mar 27th, 2022 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 05:06 PM
FatherDondo's Avatar
FatherDondo FatherDondo is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 4th, 2023
RPXP: 3851
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
Posts: 3,604
Eden, #7
left-aligned image
Eden Kai (0)
HP: 6/6 | AC 12 | PP: 11 | Prof: +2 | Status:
Level Effect
1 Disadvantage on ability checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death.
Exhaustion, (1)

HD: 1/1d6 | STR 10(+0), DEX 14(+2), CON 11(+0), INT 15(+2), WIS 12(+1), CHA 15(+2)Stats
Culture: Great civilizations reach their peak and eventually start to decline. Such fallen empires are ruled by jaded nobles, corrupt priests and wicked slave-traders. Demon-worship, human sacrifice and drug abuse is all too common in these cultures.

ASI: +2 to Charisma.
Insidious: Gain advantage on Deception and Stealth skill checks, and an additional +1d6 sneak attack damage (if you have the sneak attack class ability).
Jaded: Gain advantage on saving throws against poison.
Corrupt: Suffer disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws.
Decadent |
Spending money on alcohol and drugs, and using it to gain the benefits of rest
Avoiding labor, and keeping servants and slaves to do your work
Inventing new and novel ways of entertainment to escape the boredom of mundane existence
Overcoming enemies by the use of trickery and lies
Using cults as a tool for personal power
Entering pacts with demons and other alien beings for personal benefits
Inspiration | Race: The Isles of the Sea Reavers are inhabited by dangerous men and cunning women from many nations, and their couplings have brought forth many who are born as natives of the isles, in the fortified pirate-city of Khora. Such children usually inherit the worst traits of both parents.

Appearance: The skin-tone of Khorans range from the icy white of Tharag Thulans to the night-black of Ikunas, but is usually somewhere in-between. They dress in gaudy pantaloons and adorn themselves with gold earrings and ivory-hilted knives pilfered from burning merchant-vessels.
Religion: The gods are more feared than worshipped in the lawless port of Khora, but even the Sea Reavers occasionally offer sacrifice to the gods of the sea and the sky. Akhlathu, the god of twisted fate, is also a popular patron of many pirate crews.
Culture: The mongrel Khorans are mostly Civilized or Decadent, but encompass a small stratum of Nomads and an even smaller one of Degenerate throwbacks.
Language: Khorans don’t speak a proper language of their own, but a dialect of Susrahnian, with a few words from various languages thrown in for good measure. Select any language as a bonus language.
Khoran | Background: Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Deception
Tool Proficiencies: Vehicles (water)
Smuggler | Background Feature: You are acquainted with a network of smugglers who are willing to help you out of tight situations. While in a particular town, city, or other similarly sized community (DM’s discretion), you and your companions can stay for free in safe houses. Safe houses provide a poor lifestyle. While staying at a safe house, you can choose to keep your presence (and that of your companions) a secret.Down Low | Susrahnian, Djaka, Taikangian, ZadjiteLanguages


A white-haired man sat with his back against the wall, looking bitterly at the closed hatch. "Damned traitors," Eden muttered in the same accented Susrahnian as the Sea Reavers. "That they would do this to me, of all people. Me! Pfah," he scoffed. A thought crept into his mind, I'd do the same to them, but he brushed it away. What did it matter now? He was stuck down in the hold of one of his own peoples' ships with these... animals. Let them tear at each other like rats; I have my dignity. It's all I have. Eden attempted to spend the time and distract himself by placing bets in his head as to who would and wouldn't make it to the buckets, who would and wouldn't get their ropes off. The girl who'd come up to bother him before he was caught couldn't manage. That was a small win for him, at least. If she was here, he could be reasonably sure it wasn't a trap; a cold comfort, that.

 

Niobe, #8
right-aligned image
Niobe (0)
HP: 6/6 | AC 13 | PP: 12 | Prof: +2 | Status: Normal
HD: 1/1d6 | STR 15(+2), DEX 16(+3), CON 11(+0), INT 10(+0), WIS 15(+2), CHA 7(-2)Stats
Culture: The last survivors of decadent civilizations start to feud over dwindling resources, or are driven away by stronger cultures. Fleeing into the wilderness, or deep underground beneath their ruins, they start to inbreed and devolve into something no longer entirely human. Degenerates may outwardly resemble savages, but they carry the evil taint of fallen empires. When the last such taint disappears, the culture has become savage, and thus the cycle of history repeats itself.

ASI: +2 to Constitution.
Nocturnal: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Ferocious: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Unwholesome: Degenerates always have a physical deformity or a mental illness, caused by inbreeding, that sets them apart from other humans. This unwholesomeness can never be fully concealed. You, and anyone you associate with, suffer disadvantage on Deception and Persuasion checks (except when interacting with other degenerates), and the initial attitude of persons from other cultures will always start at Hostile.
Degenerate | Defeating a superior foe via stealth or ambush
Gaining followers through strength and intimidation
Getting a larger share of loot than your companions
Destroying the remains of high civilizations (including treasure and relics)
Inspiration | Race: The men of Lamu are regarded as a degenerate and evil people by other nations, a belief that mainly springs from ignorance, but is strengthened by the fact that some Lamurans have unnaturally keen eyesight in the dark, and that they worship many weird and loathsome gods in the isolation of their remote hill kingdom.

Appearance: Gaunt of build and pale-skinned, with long flowing hair, although the priests are often shaven-headed. Decadent Lamurans dress in flowing robes and wear distinctive tall caps, often wound around with turbans, while the more wholesome Civilized men prefer simpler clothing and sturdy armor.
Religion: The cult of Yot-Kamoth is best-known, but a multitude of other deities is worshipped.
Culture: The Lamurans, corrupted by their worship of sinister Yot-Kamoth, are mostly Decadent, but retain both a significant Civilized stratum in and around their cities and of Degenerates in the more remote parts of their realm.
Language: Lamuran, plus Susrahnite as a bonus language.
Lamuran | Background: Skill Proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit, thieves’ tools
Urchin | Background Feature: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.City Streets | Lamuran, SusrahniteLanguages


Niobe panicked when she woke and tried to break out of the ropes, which worked about as well as the last few times she tried it. At least this... rich guy? Whatever he was, he hadn't said "no" when she'd asked for help, and hadn't tried to attack her at all. But he hadn't said "yes," either. But he called those guys "traitors;" had he been with them? But they're both Khoran, so maybe he meant they betrayed him as another Khoran?

Her attention shifted once the buckets came down. She scrambled for them, 12, after -2 bound penaltytrying to knock people out of the way, using her clenched fists as a cudgel. You never know when you'll get to eat again, gotta get it when it's there.

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by FatherDondo; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 05:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 05:48 PM
The Dark Star's Avatar
The Dark Star The Dark Star is offline
Man of Many Faces
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2022
RPXP: 5130
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Posts: 2,923
Character Application 1/Rolled for everything
right-aligned image
Jaw, with his hands bound immediately just heads for the food, the drool from his mouth comes from his jagged teeth.

"Out of my way or you will be my next meal instead!" He shouts to the people around him that are also going to get food. But internally, he isn't sure that many are listening to him, hunger was too much for them. Maybe he would indeed have to see if he could get a bite of someone that wasn't looking.

He looks over to Niobe, someone that he recognizes as one of his own kind.

"Help me little one, once I have the chance, I will reward you greatly for helping a fellow Lamuran." He pleaded, as he opened his mouth to smile, revealing all of his jagged teeth.

 

 


Character 2 Application
right-aligned image
Rashim waited for the guards to get out of the room again as he turned his back to them all and began to struggle with the rope again, he had been going at it for some time, using whatever he could to get loose, this time around, it proved to help him. He could feel the rope become unbound, he smiled, but didn't want to reveal that he had succeeded, he kept his hands together and the rope still around his wrists.

As the others gathered for food and water, he soon joined in, at this moment, it was everyone for themselves and he needed his strength if he was going to be able to do anything. He rushes in with the rest of them and gathers what he can.



 

 

__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!

Roll with Luck and have some Fun!

Last edited by The Dark Star; Mar 22nd, 2022 at 05:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 08:44 PM
Onward's Avatar
Onward Onward is online now
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 4351
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Posts: 3,408
Gertrude
right-aligned image

Gertrude was calm in this situation as she stared at the blankless eyes of a masked noblewoman. She didn't know much about her or who she was, but the voice has seen to it that this one would prove useful in her escape. She was certain when the noble approached her with a proposition, though they couldn't understand each other due to the other's lack in understanding their language, but she understands the significance of their meeting. As the others started their gathering and fighting over slop and gruel, Gertrude would have entered too but waits to see what her new Ally would do for her. For now she keeps up her eavesdropping of the guards, she can understand their language well and has more sharper hearing than the others.
 



Styx
Khepri was silent as she simply watched and observe each and every one of her fellow slaves. The Savage woman in particular was of great interest to the woman. Even though they couldn't understand a word, she was very compliant to her simple hand gestures,"Hehe, such a fool. Like feeding a lost puppy." she says in Yar-Ammonite, then she stands up after overhearing the plot those women over had,"Foolish, but their word has wisdom. You could be useful in the right situation despite you being nothing more than a feral pup." she says viciously, fully knowing that she can't understand and relishing on it. Once her little one-sided banter was over, the masked woman dash toward the group of slaves trying to grab some gruel. Despite being bound, the noble pushed through with tremendous strength unfit for her lean stature, a side effect of her deformed nature,"How weak and pathetic of you, to be knocked around by someone as pristine and fragile as I." she says as she headbutts and knocks out a large and muscular slave, where she took his gruel. Once she retreats back to her seat, she takes a sip of her meal and recoils in disgust,"Guh, to think you all fight for something horrid is just sad. I don't even want to bother finishing it, finish it for me dog." she says cruelly as she passed half a bowl of gruel to the silent Savage. Gertrude happily consumes her portions, unaware of her supposed Ally's verbal assaults.
 



OOC
Gertrude
HP: 5/5 AC: 12
Str: 15 | Dex: 12 | Con: 8 | Int: 13 | Wis: 15 | Cha: 14
Proficiency: Medicine, Religion, Herbalism Kit
Language: Tharag Thulan, Lamuran, Susrahnite, Taraamite
Features:
*Life of Seclusion: I was searching for spiritual guidance
*Discovery: I can hear the Moon-God's voice, guiding me.
*Sturdy: Add a +1 natural bonus to Armor Class.
*Feral: Gain advantage on Perception skill checks.
*Superstitious: Suffer disadvantage on attack rolls against aberrations, fiends and undead.


Khepri Hassan
right-aligned image

HP: 8/8 AC: 12
Str: 16 | Dex: 14 | Con: 15 | Int: 14 | Wis: 15 | Cha: 10
Proficiency: Deception, Sleight of Hand, Disguise kit, forgery kit
Language: Yar-Ammonite, Khazistani, Zadjite, Shoma, Azimban
Features:
*Nocturnal: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
*Ferocious: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
*Unwholesome: Degenerates always have a physical deformity or a mental illness, caused by inbreeding, that sets them apart from other humans. This unwholesomeness can never be fully concealed. You, and anyone you associate with, suffer disadvantage on Deception and Persuasion checks (except when interacting with other degenerates), and the initial attitude of persons from other cultures will always start at Hostile.
*Favorite Schemes: Forge of documents.
*False Identity (Styx)

Last edited by Onward; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 09:58 PM
cappucina's Avatar
cappucina cappucina is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 6th, 2023
RPXP: 4577
cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina cappucina
Posts: 1,432
29-Chamta AC:10 HP:6
right-aligned image


Chamta watches the hatch swing open and for a moment just closes her eyes and starts praying for the Gods to save her. Then when the guards put down the buckets she lunges forward with bound hands outreached. Her legs get tangled in everyone elses legs and she falls to the ground. Still she pushes forward through the legs of the other captives, trying to get a handful or a sip off the floor from the sloshing food and water. She gets smashed around but still goes for the food. When it gets far too rough, she thinks her face got kicked or maybe hit the floor at some point, she wiggles back out of the scrum. She feels some warmth on her face and realizes she is bleeding out her nose. She tilts back her head and brings up both hands to use one to pinch the bridge of her nose.

She tells Shenda, who she feels return to sit next to her, she whispers, Please tell me you got yourself something at least. Out of everyone back here, I think it's you can survive this.

If Shenda offers her something she absolutely refuses.

Chamta's old job included taking care of animals for a wisewoman. Wisewoman was sugar coating it. She was a witch. Chamta treated mice, rats, ravens, toads, lizards, snakes and newts and all the lowest of creatures far better than these slavers treat her now.

 




30-Noemi AC:9 HP:7
right-aligned image
ooc: token 30 action: wait until mob is done at the bucket move: to the bucket when fight is over and speak to 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22

Noemi looks across at Chamta, bleeding all over her chin. It's die if you try to eat and die if you do not try. This has to change. They cannot wait for it to get better so they now must force this change. Noemi stands up after the bucket of gruel has been wiped clean and the floor around it too.

She moves toward the bucket, all the way to where the two steps meet. She looks up at the hatch, measuring it. Then she scans the faces looking for one who looks as if they could share a language. She is not sure. She asks, Kathra will you stay by me and translate?

Noemi makes her plea short to those closest to the other side of the stairs and door. Every day we will grow more weak. Tomorrow when the guards come down the stairs you shove them into us. We are ready. We will grab them and pull them back and pin them so you can rush up the stairs. Rush quickly. Use the boat to your advantage. Don't get surrounded - work together and shove the guards overboard rather than get into a long fight. This is not how our stories end, my fellow captives. It is a creation story - if we act together it will be the story of many brave heroes.

Noemi speaks Khazistani so Rashim understands her straight away. Kathra can translate into a few others.

Noemi takes an empty bucket with her when she returns to her original spot. She tries to pull the bucket apart, even a little, to create a good place to start fraying her bindings. She pulls it apart more if it seems like she can make anything out of the bucket.

Last edited by cappucina; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 10:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 12:04 AM
Dyerdon's Avatar
Dyerdon Dyerdon is online now
Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 2025
Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon Dyerdon
Posts: 1,068
Corinth Aran
right-aligned image
Despite his youth and size, Corinth was a surprisingly silent man. He had learned how to survive in the wilderness before so, hunger was no stranger. However, the pang he felt in his gut was painful. Fortunately, he was best friends with pain. He had foregone eating a few times so others could do so, but he felt something different in the air. The tension had been building over the last few days, it felt. Something was going to happen... something needed to happen. Blinding light seared his retinas, momentarily, causing him to lift his powerful arms to shield his eyes... when the light faded, however briefly... he saw the food, and once again eyed that curved saber.... With a heavy sigh, he stood, pulling hard on his restraints as he did so... as if testing how durable they were... before attempting to move forward and grab some of the food and water for himself. He'd need his strength... he'd make these people pay for this indignation... including his brothers who sold him...


 

 


Felden Thas
right-aligned image
This was not the life for him. No, he disapproved a great deal. It was supposed to have been an easy job. Instead, Fel found himself in some hellhole... though the guards were nice enough to wear weapons, he hadn't seen many opportunities to grab one without being noticed and potentially beaten or cut to death. He watched them with mild trepidation as they came in again. Again, he couldn't get to them. With a low sigh, he pulled on his bonds.. to no avail

His stomach growled as the gruel and water passed by... and figures watched from above, probably hoping to watch a fight. His eyes moved over the others, including the large men muscling in and the scared girl.. there were others that moved for the food or simply just bided their time. He was hungry, but there was no way he was getting through all that... instead, he stayed where he was, though he'd be ready for the first sign of trouble


 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus. As such, I am still present unless otherwise discussed.

Last edited by Dyerdon; Mar 26th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 02:04 AM
O2CXt3's Avatar
O2CXt3 O2CXt3 is online now
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 1699
O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3 O2CXt3
Posts: 1,398
Gren - Lvl 0 (HP: 5/5 +3 temp HP | AC 8 | Status: Normal Token: 27)
right-aligned image
The skin under Gren’s eyes was dark gray, and his hair hung matted and unkempt on his forehead. He’d grown used to the smell of human feces and vomit and the rocking of the ship, but the endless stretches of time still bothered him. Sometimes it was hard to tell whether it was day or night except by the specks of light shining through the floor boards above. Like stars… he thought vaguely.

When morning came and the “stars” reappeared above him, Gren turned to his companions at the back of the ship and whispered in Taraamite, "Remember, if we stick together we’ll be alright. Everybody go for the food when they bring it. We can’t afford to get too weak."

Gren hated that they needed to compete with the people on the ship like this to survive. If they could just come to an agreement, one half of the people could eat one day, and one half could eat the next, but there were too many people to convince, and as soon as the bucket of slop was set down, everyone charged it in a mad dash. The ones who held out and didn’t go for the food… well, there were a few less passengers on the ship than there were before.

"We’ll be ok. We’ll find a way out of this. It’s just a matter of time. If we can take out one of the guards and get a weapon, we can cut everyone’s hands free and overwhelm them." He paused and thought, his blue eyes glittering faintly in the darkness. "Maybe even if we are bound we can overpower them. There are so many of us - it’s just a matter of time. We will find a way to kill them all and take this ship! Remember - stay strong! Go for the food when they bring it!" he finished with a vehement whisper. It wasn’t much, but he Using inspiring leader feat. +3 temp HP to Gren, Iun, Chamta, Noemi, Shenda, Kathrafelt better. When he’d finished in Taraamite, he repeated what he’d said back to Iun in Yar-Ammonite, and Iun whispered it to Noemi in Khazistani as Gren spoke.

When he was done trying to lift the spirits of the others around him, Gren sat down and wrestled against the ropes that bound his hands, but the chords only dug in deeper. After a few minutes he stopped and sat silently in the dark and waited.

When the guards finally came with the buckets, Gren readied himself. He wasn’t out to hurt anyone; he just wanted to push through the scrum and get whatever food he could. When the guards left and the doors closed behind them, he charged. He dodged and pushed his way through the crowd, squatting down as he got closer, and reached out with his hand - so close - and then there was a crack and a blinding flash of white light. Someone’s elbow had hit him in the forehead. He pushed forward anyway, crawling on his hands and knees to reach the wretched bucket of gruel.

 


Iun - Lvl 0 (HP: 6/6 +3 temp HP | AC 11 | Status: Normal Token: 28)
right-aligned image
Iun eyed the miserable people around him. They were exhausted and starving. He wished there was something he could do, but they’d taken his medicine when they took his clothes, his mask, and everything else. He looked at each person on the ship, wondering what their story was, while the waves rocked him up and down.

When Gren began to speak, he had almost dozed off. He couldn’t tell what the man was saying, but he seemed excited about something. Gren repeated himself in Yar-Ammonite and then Iun understood. He repeated it under his breath to Noemi in Khazistani. The six of them in the back of the boat - the four women and two men - had formed an alliance of sorts. Or maybe not quite an alliance, but they had gotten to know one another a little bit over the last few days, and he’d come to care for them and sympathize with them more than the people on the other side of the boat whom he’d never spoken with.

Iun was skeptical of Gren’s idea of taking over the ship, but Gren was right that they’d need to eat. "I’ll go for the food," Iun said flatly when Gren was done speaking, but despite himself, he felt better after hearing the man’s words. Maybe he’s right. What choice do we have but to survive and to fight? There are so many of us. Maybe we can take over the boat?

When Gren was quiet and had gone back to wrestling with the ropes that bound his wrists, Iun decided to do the same. The ropes had begun to cut into his skin and there was only so much he could do to fight against them every day. He gritted his teeth and closed his eyes and pulled. The muscles on his chest and shoulders stood out, and the purple flesh around the bindings on his wrists bulged grotesquely until, miraculously, there was a small pop. He didn’t dare to believe it had worked, and wondered if it was the sound of a bone breaking, but when he looked down, one of the ties was broken. He exhaled a long breath of relief and nearly shouted out to the others, but bit his tongue instead. Maybe it would be better if nobody knows about this for now, he thought. He loosened the ropes so that they didn’t dig into his wrists, but left them there to try to give the appearance that he was still bound.

When the door finally swung open and the guards with the buckets entered, Iun watched warily until the door closed, and as soon as he heard the click and saw the others lunge for the buckets, he dove towards them himself. In the chaos of bodies lunging for the buckets, he Using telekinetic feat and invisible mage handreached out with his mind and tried to scoop of a handful of the gruel and weave it through the air back to him. He hoped that nobody would knock it down, or worse yet, notice what he had done as he continued to push towards the buckets.

 


Last edited by O2CXt3; Mar 25th, 2022 at 02:26 PM. Reason: wording; updating AC; adding spell attack and dex check to keep hands hidden
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Confused and confounded
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 15th, 2023
RPXP: 33065
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 7,296
Aimilos Gavriil - Token 25
left-aligned image

"People! People!" Aimilos called in out Susrahnite as he pushed himself to his feet, witnessing the shoving and jostling around the slop bucket with a worried expression on his face. "Keep calm. Don't you see - this is exactly what *they* want!" the Nabastissean pointed towards the grates above them all. "They *want* us to fight. Don't let them dictate the narrative! Violent excitement only serves to exhaust the mind and leaves it withered and sterile. The food should go to the weakest today, so they might live or more bodies will be taken out tomorrow and there will be fewer to share the burdens we are struggling with." He placed his hands on the oar in front of him to indicate what he was meaning.

Realising that few perhaps understood his words, he switched fluently to Taraamite, then a more stilted Yar-Ammonite for the benifit of the few bronze-skinned children of the desert he had seen in the hold. "Peace, friends! Mind who eats today or there will be fewer to pull the oars tomorrow. Do not fight. That is what our capturers want! Show your resilience and let those weakest today eat. Then tomorrow those who did not eat today get the rations."

"I myself will not eat today. I urge others to consider doing the same!"

OOC and Actions
 





Nazeem of Three Waters - Token 26
left-aligned image

"Is a mighty fine speech, neighbor" Nazeem said, leaning back and twisting in his seat to show his Ghoma-stained teeth to the Grenblue eyed Bhangari as he whispered about among the slaves behind him. "Nazeem particularly likes the part about taking the ship." The Khoran's mangled Taraamite was heavily accented, but still he spoke it fluently.

"But do you have captain? Do you know how to steer ship? To avoid reefs or navigate on open water?" Nazeem's eyed roamed across the others slaves behind him, then settled back on Gren again. "Nazeem of Three Waters knows - he was born on the seas and sees them more as home than some dingy hut on distant shores. To him, the wooden hull of a ship is like a second layer of skin and the salty winds little more than a kiss on his cheek."

Lifting his bound hands up and shaking them slightly, he continued.
"Get Nazeem out of these ropes, feed him and get him to the wheel and he will honour his side of the bargain and take this ship to whatever port you wish!"

The wiry Khoran held his tied up wrists forward. "Deal?"

OOC and Actions
 

__________________
Father of proud children. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Adding languages
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 11:55 AM
BattleFries's Avatar
BattleFries BattleFries is offline
Dark Advisor
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 4th, 2023
RPXP: 2872
BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries BattleFries
Posts: 2,106
Educating the InexperiencedGanzar couldn't help but chuckle at the plotting and scheming of all those around him. Before long, it had burst out into actual, full-throated laughter. "Most of you haven't been in a situation like this before, have you?" he said to anyone who could hear him in heavily accented Sushrahnite, given that it was far more commonly spoken in the west than his native Taikangian. "All of us aren't supposed to survive. It's just like when the ring masters get a new batch of gladiators. They put us all together and leave just enough food to keep only some of us healthy. The masters get to see who's best with brute force, who's most agile, who's smart and lets the others pick each other off."

Ganzar let out another raucous laugh before speaking again, but in a lower, quieter voice. Those close to him (Token #23) would be able to make his words out with ease, and others with keen hearing probably could as well. There was no guarantee the masters wouldn't hear, but at least he'd make the effort. "And then someone gets the idea to try and fight the masters all together, as if they aren't watching and listening to everything we say and do. No, we're not all of us going to make it out of this alive. Best thing to do is to do your damndest to make yourself seem worth buying by someone who won't be too awful to you if you survive long enough to get to the auction block. Trying to stir up trouble... That's the best way to get all of us killed. They can always find more merchandise if they decide we're too much trouble.

Ganzar
left-aligned image

STR 11 + 2 (Savage)13 (+1) | DEX 10 (0) | CON 12 (+1) | INT 12 (+1) | WIS 9 (-1) | CHA 11 (0)
HP 8/8 | AC: 11 - 2 (Bound)9 | Passive Perception: (9 if no proficiency at level 0)11 | Status: Disadvantage on ability checksExhaustion Lvl 1, -2 to STR and DEX rolls, including attacks and ACBound
Natural +1 bonus to ACSturdy | Advantage on Perception checksFeral | Disadvantage on attacks vs aberrations, fiends, and undeadSuperstitious | Taikangian, Bhangari (racial bonus), Sushrahnite (INT bonus)Languages | Acrobatics, Performance, PerceptionProficiencies
Trait ~ Insults are the most telling sort of icebreakers, and I enjoy hearing new ones directed at me.
Ideal ~ People are who they are, and there's little sense trying to change them. Deal with what's in front of you, be it a mask or a true face.
Bond ~ I want to ride the currents of a life beyond my control and see all that I can see in whatever time life grants me.
Flaw ~ I don't tend to take anything very seriously, and I am too content to let others dictate my life rather than take charge myself, preferring to just go with the flow.
By Popular Demand ~ Can barter gladiatorial performance for room and board where applicable.
Entertainer/Gladiator

 



Making Friends and Influencing PeopleMara listened to everyone around her scheme and plot to join forces as if they wouldn't all turn on each other when they all became desperate enough. No, human nature wasn't like that. Alliances of convenience were one thing, but actively plotting such things when their captors were literally watching them from above... The eastern-looking man sitting across from her was right, and he claimed to have had experience as a slave from earlier in his life. This was likely just another day in the world for him. It was rather pitiful to see how resigned he was to his fate. All the same, he was playing things smart, and he was advising everyone else to do the same. Mara could respect that, to a point.

At the end of the hold closest to where Mara sat, two women had made their own moves for what passed as food in the bowels of this ship. Judging by their looks and their words, one was a fellow Taraamite and the other hailed from Yar-Ammon. Mara didn't want to tip that she understood and could speak Yar-Ammonite, but the display of prowess from the Taraamite woman as she dove for the gruel was impressive. She was a fighter, that much was clear even without the scar over her eye. More than that, she carried herself a certain way, as if she knew what she wanted and took it, and damn what anyone else thought of her. Granted, that was just a first impression, but Mara had an idea of how to play this.

Scrambling on her hands and knees, Mara crawled her way over to the end of the hold and backed herself into the very end of the ship's hull, the Taraamite woman on one side and the Yar-Ammonite woman on the other. She kept up the appearance of the fearful, desperate woman who had made for the gruel as hastily as she had earlier. "I saw you," she whispered in hushed Taraamite to the woman with the scar over her eye, the name of Shenda as of yet unknown to Mara. "The way you went for the food... You're strong. A-and beautiful, too. If that man over there is right," she said, gesturing with her head to Ganzar, then you're going to survive all of this. Can I join you? I can help, I promise. I'm not strong like you, but I used to dance, so I'm agile and I'm quick. If too many of us start banding together, the guards will kill us. But if we're quiet and smart, we can survive, I'm sure. Especially with someone like you to help us. Someone strong and smart and so, so beautiful..." Mara said, letting her gaze and voice take on a wistful air as she made a show of staring at the woman's face.

And it wasn't like she was lying, either. The Taraamite woman looked to be in very good shape, and the scar over her eye added to her beauty rather than taking away from it. If she had been Mara's property before this current predicament, she would have made the woman her personal slave so that she could act as a bodyguard and as a pleasure slave depending on her whims. Alas, that was no longer viable, so she'd have to hope that the woman could prove to be a useful ally. If she saw past Mara's show, she would hopefully see nothing more than someone who looked far too soft and upper-class to be anything other than a desperate soul in need of protection. And that wasn't entirely wrong. Mara was desperate, and she had found one person who might be useful in helping her to survive. Whether or not the woman she did not know yet as Shenda would be agreeable, however, remained to be seen. "I'm Mara," she whispered to the woman who would come to be known as Shenda, green eyes peeking through her long black hair hanging in front of her face. The flush in her cheeks would hopefully sell her as an infatuated girl in over her head, but while she could control her own impulses, the heat in her cheeks wasn't something Mara had to fake. Shenda was quite attractive, after all...

Mara Telamir
left-aligned image

STR 10 (0) | DEX 15 (+2) | CON 15 (+2) | INT 16 (+3) | WIS 12 (+1) | CHA 15 + 2 (Decadent)17 (+3)
HP 8/8 | AC: 12 - 2 (Bound)10 | Passive Perception: 11 | Status: -2 to STR and DEX rolls, including attacks and ACBound
Advantage on Deception and Stealth skill checks; +1d6 sneak attack damage if Mara has Sneak AttackInsidious | Advantage on saving throws against poisonJaded | Disadvantage on WIS saving throwsCorrupt | [/B] Taraamite, Sushrahnite (racial bonus), Nabastissean (INT bonus), Lamuran (INT bonus), Yar-Ammonite (INT bonus)Languages | History, Persuasion, Deception, StealthProficiencies
Trait ~ My blood doesn't make me who I am. By my words and deeds will you know me as someone to gaze upon with wonder and fear.
Ideal ~ I have tasted true power, and I want and need more. It is my right, and I will have it no matter what.
Bond ~ The unknowable power behind the faces and voices in the stars of the night sky will guide me to my destiny, and I will pay whatever price they demand.
Flaw ~ I remember the concept of empathy, but I don't feel it anymore. Even my pride in my family name is a dedication to a prominent transaction and little else. I live for myself, and everyone else is a means to an end.
Noblewoman

 

__________________
"Truth, my dear doctor, is in the eye of the beholder. I never tell the truth because I don't believe there is such a thing." -Elim Garak
~ ~ ~
By my solemn vow, I have taken the Oath of Sangus.

Last edited by BattleFries; Mar 24th, 2022 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 05:47 PM
Tyeal's Avatar
Tyeal Tyeal is online now
Card-Carrying Cleric
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 7th, 2023
RPXP: 9863
Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal Tyeal
Posts: 2,865
Torat HP: 6/6 AC: 9 Token 3
right-aligned image

He missed his turban.

IT was an odd thought to have as Torat sat in a cramped, hot, sweaty hold of a transport ship, engulfed in the chaos all around him. The energy rolling off countless humans all scrambling and desperate for survival was overwhelming for him. How he longed for the solitude of wandering the world, spreading the wisdom and knowledge of his gods to those that would listen... And so many here spoke in tongues he didn't recognize so he felt certain such wisdom may be lost on their ears. He knew he wouldn't be able to make his way through that throng of hungry people. He'd most likely be trampled under their feet. No, he needed to work with what he had. And right now, what he needed most were his hands back.

Regarding the bindings for a moment, twisting and pulling to test their corded strength, Torat took a deep breath, planted his heel carefully between his wrists, then
Dice Strength:
1d20-3 (12)-3 Total = 9
pushed and pulled at once. Whenever he felt he wasn't making any headway he'd gnaw at the rope to try and snap a few fibers, weakening it as best he could and repeat the process. Despite his efforts, the bindings held, and just ended with him having fibers between his teeth. His grimace only deepened when he came across an idea, one that he hoped might sustain him for a little while longer. He resumed chewing at his bindings, swallowing the foul fibers as best he could. Hoping those whom he preached of would watch over him and let him see their destination alive.

SummaryAttempted break free. Strength - 9
Eating bindings to stave off hunger.


Stat BlockHP: 6/6 AC: 9
Str: 6 | Dex: 9 | Con: 11 | Int: 17 | Wis: 9+2 | Cha: 6
Proficiency: Arcana, History, Religion, Investigation
Language: Yar-Ammonite, Khazistani

Features:
Cyclopean: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Conceited: Too confident in your own abilities, you often underestimate your enemies. You suffer disadvantage on initiative rolls.




Ruldash 'Slunk' HP: 9/9 AC: 13 Token 4
right-aligned image

"Well, this is one of yer finer messes." muttered the lumpy, balding man in Susrahnite. He had to expect his luck to run out sooner or later, and this time it ran out aboard a slaver ship bound for... somewhere. He recognized the weird slang used by their guards and judged them as pirates, but of whom he couldn't place. It was hard to see down here, and he couldn't spot any tattoos or markings. For his part, Ruldash watched the frenzied throng of people scramble for food and water, picking up on quite a few folks who knew his language. A start, if nothing else. And one poor soul trying to preach patience and understanding and 'Don't you see?' crap. "Clearly never known real hunger. Or knowin' when your last meal is." He muttered as he checks his bonds. Sturdy enough rope to be sure. But he needed his hands to do his work. Even here, he might've been able to lift an item or two from their guards and at least ensure he could leave once they docked.

Ruldash would press his wrists together, then his palms, and roll them off one another in slow, tight circles. Trying to work those damp fibers
Dice Strength:
1d20-1 (17)-1 Total = 16
a little more loose. Loose enough to get his bony hands out from their biting grip at least. He perked up when he started seeing the raw skin of his bindings and, little by little, the fibers snapping just enough to get one hand free. He kept the robe binding, hoping to use a section of it later as needed, and wrapped it around his fingers to cushion his knuckles for now. With eyes on the prize, he got to his feet, stretched his painfully stiff body, and sized things up. "Alright... More than a score of folk, all desperate. Let's see if I know how t'do my snake impression still."

With feeling coming back to him, Slunk made his debut.
Dice Attack:
1d20+3 (4)+3 Total = 7
He jabbed and prodded folk in tender places to get them to flinch and move out of his way, giving his narrow form just enough room to squeeze through the mass of bodies. It was hot. Oppressive. A living death trap he could get crushed underneath. He had to force himself to keep breathing, stay focused. "Lose a few fingers, or lose my life." He muttered under his panting breath. He got his hands free, that was a good sign. Now he needed to keep what little strength he had and see if he couldn't bargain his way off this floating coffin.

SummaryStrength to escape bonds - EXACTLY 16
Attack roll with Dex to wriggle his way to food and water - 7


Stat BlockHP: 9/9 AC: 13
Str: 9 | Dex: 16 | Con: 13 | Int: 12 | Wis: 12 | Cha: 6+2
Proficiency: Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Perception
Language: Susrahnite, Nabastissean, Zadjite

Features:
Insidious: Gain advantage on Deception and Stealth skill checks, and an additional +1d6 sneak attack damage if you have the sneak attack class ability.
Jaded: Gain advantage on saving throws against poison.
Corrupt: Suffer disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws.
__________________
My Get To Know A Gamer thread is up! Ask me things!

My collection of niche/uncommon characters!
The RNG gods favor those that roleplay well. - Something I say very often

Last edited by Tyeal; Mar 23rd, 2022 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 06:15 PM
The Dark Star's Avatar
The Dark Star The Dark Star is offline
Man of Many Faces
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 28th, 2022
RPXP: 5130
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Posts: 2,923
Jaw (19)
right-aligned image
"Ahhhh, yes a plan to escape and take the ship, I like this plan, we even have someone that could operate the ship, this just keeps getting better and better, yesssss. What we need is to get the support of the people that are sitting closest to the door." Jaw replied, as he watched the others get food, the pile of people too much for himself to get some.

"I could come up with something to get them to open the doors again. The guards just love me." He said as he smiled with his wretched teeth again and chuckled.

He then listened to Rashim and was offended at the mention of him being filthy, but then smiled as he saw the bonds of Rashim had been broken. The dig at him was forgotten at the opportunity of freedom.

"If you want a distraction, I can do that for you, anything to be out of these bonds."

 

 


Rashim (20)
right-aligned image
Rashim listens to his neighbour and their plan to get ahold of this ship and he admitted to himself that it was a decent plan. He moved closely to the two that were looking to be willing to go through with this.

"If you think that your plan will work, we need to get the others on board, I can help out with that by helping them out of these," he replied in a whisper, his voice smooth and warm, he made sure that no guards from above to see him as he put his back to the sky, he then separated his hands. "I was just able to break my bonds, and will help those that are willing to go through with this plan of yours." He continued as he placed his hands together again.

"I don't think delaying the breakout will be able to wait for tomorrow, they are going to be coming down for that bucket as soon as we are done eating and drinking from them, if it is missing, it will only raise suspicion, and some of the people here are already exhausted, if we were to wait any longer, too many of us will be too weak to take on anyone. We have to make a move soon, you, filthy one, Jaw, you said you can get them down here, can you piss them off enough to come down in a fit? Maybe take a couple hits in order for us to take him out?" He asked Jaw.

 

 

__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!

Roll with Luck and have some Fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB