twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 04:25 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32497
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
August PotM

Let's start this August Post-of-the-Month thread with a bit of casual information -->

The best time weather-wise is from mid-April to mid-October. July and August are the peak months for visitors. The weather overall is never severely cold or hot as the temperatures are influenced by the North Sea (the Netherlands has a maritime climate). Most rain falls in the winter and it can feel damp and chilly. The driest times are between February and May.

What should be remembered is that although the weather is at its best in the summer, the museums especially are extremely busy. If Keukenhof or tulips are a consideration, the time to visit the Netherlands is from mid-April to mid-May when the bulb fields are in full color. No matter when you decide to visit, prepare for rainy weather. Even summer days can be grey and wet, so always bring a coat and umbrella

---> Besides talking about vacation and going to the Netherlands, to all who are staying at home, spending time elsewhere, RPG players who don't like a vacation: do not worry; this place is always open 24/7 and welcoming you to post annnndddddd: NOMINATE!!!! #woopwoop

Have you seen an awesome post in kuddo's to ekidnu :-)AUGUST? Did it make you smile, wonder or you noticed it kept buzzing in your mind? Feel free to post in this thread and add your motivation, link the post and provide a bit of context if needed. If you are a DM and in your game, a post stood out and deserves recognition? please use Dalek voice when reading thisNominate!!!. Are you a player and you felt swept away by the DM-post? Yes, even DM's can be nominated...

Last but not least, there is no shame to nominate your own post! If you feel you made the effort, you spend extra energy and time and your post is showing it? Earn the credits you deserve and nominate :-). There is no time like the present so please use this Month/this thread to provide a stage and spotlight for a post you think needs to be seen and read...

Disclaimer: since we want to get the winning post in the spotlight, please be aware the post you nominated can be used to be in the next Explosive Runes. If you, or the writer of the post, have any objections to this; let us know

Last edited by chocoladevla; Aug 17th, 2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 08:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6371
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Unfortunately been informed the excellent post I was nominating was from July.

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; Aug 19th, 2022 at 01:39 PM.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:19 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 386
writelite writelite writelite writelite
PLEASE NOTE: this post is up for nomination

Author: DemonSlayer
Game: Four From Cormyr
System: D&D 5e
Links: Last Post
 Previous Post
I added a second, recent post for a better look at how the player handles the character and participates at the story. If at any time it becomes necessary to look at just one post, please refer to the first mentioned. What i say below refers to both.

The posts are not without flaws, i could see some - yet that did not prevent me from enjoying what the posts had to deliver.

The first thing i was drawn to was the writing style, which i found light, fluid, and well-contained (or balanced).

Then i appreciated the description of emotional reactions - in the first post, which allowed me to recognize humanity in the character and feel what it felt.
In the second (previous) post, i found an equally transporting description of the character's actions and magic.
The impression each post gives me is of a character depth with place for both weaknesses and mystery.

I liked the fact that it was clear what the player wanted the character to do, or be involved in. It seemed the player chose a few important matters for the character to be preoccupied with - and gave those story room. That, along with the moderate post size, made it easier to see the posts as a part of balanced group effort.
Another good thing to me was that i did not have to look at previous posts to realize what is happening in the story.

I would also list the flaws, adding that i look at them almost with admiration. But that would probably confuse people...

Below, you can find a few general selection criteria, as well as a list of other games that caught my interest.

Last edited by chocoladevla; Sep 10th, 2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 12:45 PM
Interdimensional Kitsune

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6298
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
August NominationThis will be my first or second nomination. I'm usually a very private person and its rare for me to step out of my little corner of the world to do anything, so when I nominate a post, it is because I truly enjoyed it!

Author Xyza (GM)
Game: Pokemon Dragonrealm: Adventure Academy
System: Pokemon Tabletop United
Link to Post: Tender Moment
Relevant Post: Beginning of the Scene

Our Pokémon game is fairly small, consisting of only the GM and 3 players. We had more at one point, but as with any game, we lost a few, yet rather than fill the empty slots, we found that the group we had worked really well together, and this next week will mark our 1 year anniversary of the game's beginning--an entire year full of wonderful moments where our three young girls have overcome no small amount of obstacles as they try to navigate their new lives at Lythia Adventuring Academy alongside their Pokémon, a colorful array of fellow students and teachers, and all the drama that comes with being young women!

There have been at least a dozen moments where I have very seriously considered nominating posts from this game, but ended up either being too late to act, too busy to write something or just, y'know, too shy to post publicly. But recently the girls have embarked on what has proven to be a fun-filled first weekend get-away in the countryside, and so many great, fulfilling moments have already transpired!

For my character, Amelia Tespin, who is a mute and has, since the beginning, been the only one of the three to not have a Pokémon due to backstory reasons, that goes double! Romantic sub-plots, internal conflict. She's had to deal with a lot, but now a year later (though for Amelia, its only been one week in-game!), this has all culminated into a rather big character development point for her.

When we first started this game, I told Xyza, the GM, that I wanted Amelia's starting companion to be randomly rolled from premade list, and that I wanted to meet it in-game, which Xy was happy to oblige. However, there was a second layer added to the mix. Our game uses the the Game of Throhs supplement, adding classes that use the power of the Types as elementalist abilities. And I wanted my element to be tied to my Pokémon's (ie: my element was supposed to be 'weak' to my Pokémon's type). And I didn't want to know what it was until it happened!

This meant that I was going to have to play a character that didn't have all of her capabilities! Think of it as if you were playing a wizard, but instead of your spellbook, you only had a slip of paper, and maybe half the daily spell allotment. But I was fine with that because it presented a challenge to my usual playstyle, and added a lot of depth to Amelia's personality, often feeling like she was lagging behind everyone else's progress or just generally not as strong as everyone else--because she wasn't!

During her adventure weekend with her friends (which again, was only a week in game) all of that came to a head, and in a rush of emotions and conflict, she was given both her Pokémon and her elemental abilities. And though the whole scene was probably one of the coolest 'big reveal' scenes I've ever had the pleasure to be a part of, the post-fight scene included a tender moment where Amelia's new-old friend showed her a piece of her life that she tried so hard to forget, but in purging those bad memories, she also suppressed one of the most important connections of her life.

Xyza's reveal was super exciting and emotional, and I though it was a long time coming, after how cool that whole scene played out I would wait any number of years for another cool climax like that! Hats off to our GM, Xy, and to my friends Morgantha and Homestarbaby for helping to make this such a great overall experience ♥ One year, guys! Looking forward to many more!

-- She/They -- Lady Guuji -- High Queen of the Shippers --

Last edited by briar; Aug 19th, 2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27633
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Author: The Rat Queen
Game: It's A Lost Art
System: Serenity
Links: Link to Post
Links: Relevant Post 1
Links: Relevant Post 2
Links: Relevant Post 3

The Reason I am nominating this player and this post is due to how the character is reacting to change in the game. In short, all but two of the players in the game dropped out, so the two remaining players stepped up and decided to keep the game going and let the GM recruit new. This forced the character in this post to step into the role of Captain, a role the character has never had eyes on, nor the player wanted or conceived of happening. Forced to make decisions in her new role, The Rat Queen's character Kierra is showing real vulnerability for other characters to see and notice in the game. Awesome post imho.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Aug 26th, 2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 12:18 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 48592
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
How you goin' keep him down on the farm, after he's seen the lights of Everlee?
right-aligned image

Player: Wynamoinen
Game: Bride of the Banshee
System: 5e
GM: Fillyjonk

Context: Sometimes, you create magical moments by playing the suave hero, and sometimes you find them in your bumpkins. In this opening game post, Wynamoinen describes how an unsophisticated farmer might react to leaving home for the first time in his life and stumbling into the Everlee Solistice Fair. Haven't heard of this fair? Well, I'm not surprised. The fair isn't much, really. But through the eyes of an ingenu from the middle of nowhere, this fair is the most magnificent and eye-opening event on the planet--and Wynamoinen captures the spellbinding wonder of this simple encounter in the daily life of his yokel-nobody with humor, respect, and a mechanical hook to bring other players into the game.

Link to Game Post

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-08-21 11.10.48 PM.png
Views:	172
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	96639  

Last edited by bananabadger; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 03:14 PM.
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 03:55 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 33779
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Uh oh, y'all, the wizard's eyes are black pits of necromantic power

Player: Insacrum
Game: Tomb of Annihilation
System: D&D
GM: jbear

Reason for Nominating: This post represents the moment of a dark pivot. Just a few scenes ago, Taurri the gnome wizard was battling undead that threatened to wipe out the whole party, in a dangerous jungle on the island of Chult. In this post, thanks to a magic bell he acquired by bold conquest, and attuned by bold decision, he turns those very zombie forces to his command. I appreciate how Insacrum gives readers a window on the chaos inside this decision. Taurri's state of mind is so desperate, his emotions so fraught and his body so damaged that we fully understand how he is driven to this reversal, and what it means that he takes this step into necromancy. Never say never!

Old Aug 30th, 2022, 10:59 AM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30744
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
No, It Is Not Time to Make the Donuts...

Player: Ptwiddle
Game: Ghosts of Saltmarsh
System: D&D
GM: Fillyjonk

Reason for Nominating: Here Fela the paladin experiences a vision of a girl in trouble in the middle of a combat with evil cultists. This post does all the things: It moves the plot forward, truly gives us a deeper understanding of the character using just a few words and powerful images, completes an effective combat manuever, and bonds Fela closer to her team.

Add to this, the writing is SO good. I love how the feeling of regaining consciousness is described as coming through, "a fog made of fireflies," and all the great combat details are so visual and exciting.

An added delight is the plaintiveness of Fela's desire for regular bland nice things.

Fela: Can't I JUST have a peaceful, quiet life?

Narrator: Alas, Fela was a character in game of D&D!

That made me grin and was also bittersweet...

Join RPGX Book Club
Current read: LotR Trilogy

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Aug 30th, 2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 01:48 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4081
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
A very comic style post, for a comic style game.
Arthur: BlackDragon
Game:Hellhound hath no fury.
System: MASKS
Dm: Homestarbaby
links main/ https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...99#post9524599
Reference/
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...00#post9524600
Finish/
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...35#post9530835

Reason for nomination:
The main is the recommended post. As you can see a lot of work went into it and to make it as much like the type of game played. The ch had to save a girl from a mutant lab created creature. He had almost lost to till 3 other heroes helped. Of course this was a new fight and he was dealing with the abandonment from his team the stress of the situation and rose to the occasion.

The other 2 show the results of him unleashing his powers and finishing the fight alone. With opertunities for others to join but didn't. Instead they left in a car with a demon who gave them magic candy....

This is the writing a player can give when they like the game enjoy a bit of freedom. And just want to have fun.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 30th, 2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 08:30 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15248
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
Player: AnotherDragoon
Game: OutPlay 2022
System: Shadowrun
GM: Imveros (woot woot!)

Reason for Nominating:
This post is outstanding in its colorful, creative prose with electric action and such imagination. The character being transported to 'Elsewhere' and how he quickly has to adjust is expressed so very well, with feeling.

"Colors from an impossible spectrum filled his eyes and tasted like minerals..." <-- This alone just makes my brain dance with glee, and I hope others find this post as wonderful as I do.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 11:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8255
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
DM: Wretched Rick
Game: Curse of Strahd
System: D&D 5E

Reason for Nominating:
A quality DM can take a pre-made adventure and paint it vividly, and I feel that is what Wretched Rick has been able to do time and time again in this game. Not only are all the PCs fantastic in this game, but you can see the NPCs growing and evolving right alongside us. Not only does Wretched Rick manage to do this well, but also he takes into account the personalities and concepts of the PCs as well and puts a great spin on it, making us all that much more invested in our characters. Feel free to read through and see other great examples.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 04:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4279
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
Elanir - A Game of DrowPlayer: Elanir
Game: A Game of Drow - House Mlezzym
System: D&D 5E
DM: GavinS38

Reason for Nominating: With this post Elanir demonstrates that they have been paying attention to the character development of the NPCs. They show a great understanding of the motivations of the NPCs - that they are more than just two dimensional villains - and further help to develop the NPC personalities with their own interpretation; both helping the DM to bring all of the characters to life while simultaneously driving the story forward. All of this is written through the observations and insights of their character; highlighting their character's high level of intelligence, while at the same time revealing a modicum of respect for their adversary to the extent where under a different set of circumstances they may have been tempted to offer their loyalty differently.