Game Thread Spawning 26 YG 958- a diplomatic mission - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Adventures of Carlsport > Finished games
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Nov 16th, 2022, 11:09 PM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 257
silveroak silveroak silveroak
Spawning 26 YG 958- a diplomatic mission

Lady Goldenbough approaches Deanna and asks her to gather a group and undertake a voyage to locate the elves on the Vensuvian continent whose ancestors had been oppressed by the empire there before its collapse and see if there is a way to make common cause with them. A set of directions which are believed to be reasonably accurate have been obtained and passage has been secured on a cargo vessel- all the passenger bunks have been reserved for your group.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 219
galenbd galenbd galenbd
Having been given travel papers by Deanna last night, Beordir approaches the Serendipity curiously. The ship looks messy, but with a defined organization about it. Things are placed as expected, not just left to hang. That bodes well for the competence of her crew. Beordir walks closer along the quay. As he gets near, the smell of fresh tar overwhelms the usual smell of fish guts. Well maintained. Another good sign.

As the Serendipity's watchman approaches, Beordir asks, "Is this ship bound for Vensuvia?"
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8021
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Deanna Danaan
right-aligned image

Deanna arrives at the dock at the same time as Beordir and looks the ship over. Her captain's eye looks at the ship noticing that the crew are slovenly but that the gear is well maintained and in good order. She remembersla that she is not here as Captain, but as an emissary from Lady Goldenbough to the Elves of Venesuvia. She checks her gear and then walks down the gangplank and onto the deck. " I am Deanna Danaan and I lead the Embassy to the Elves of Venesuvia. I hope that your Captain is available to discuss what he expects of the passengers during the voyage. I have the set of instructiosn found by Lady Goldenbough for him. ". She lifts the scroll case in her right hand to indicate their presence.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 01:16 PM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
Angosin, a professional human scout has also been recruited by agents of Lady Goldenbough, both for his skills and as potential front man for the predominantly human population of vensuvius. he has brought along his friend Gunthor to assist as well. The Collegium has wrangled a position for L'harent Viestelund to join the expedition as well as a record keeper for the changing conditions and political situation in Vensuvius. Biroff Dankil has also been dragged along by suggestion of his temple and its association with Gunthor, though the reasons for his coming are more varied and confused, from a hope of spreading word of Thaddeus to the Vensuvian continent to learning more about the sources of adamant metal which are shipped from there.

Last edited by silveroak; Nov 18th, 2022 at 01:16 PM.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 03:28 PM
It's clobberin' time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17650
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
L'harent Viestelund
right-aligned image

The sharp tang of salt and rot assaulted L'harent's nose like a boxer's fist, and for what he imagined would be the first of many times during the upcoming voyage he felt his stomach roil and heave. And we're still in port! he lamented.

The shoulder-straps of his knapsack felt like they were growing heavier with each step. A rational person might suggest that L'harent had brought too many books with him. Of course, that same rational person was not here as an envoy and recordkeeper on behalf of the Collegium Magica. It wasn't the books by themselves; clearly this damp sea air was saturating the pages and parchment and other materials the elf scribe carried. His bony shoulders balked, but he sighed and adjusted the straps yet again. It would not be long; he was within sight of the ship now. Soon enough he would be onboard, out there on the open sea, the rocking, churning, heaving-

He bent down and quietly retched into the bushes.

Several minutes and one minor magical illusory scent later, L'harent Viestelund found himself amongst a small but growing crowd gathered on the deck of the Serendipity. He eyed the tub with skepticism but did not give voice to any misgivings he might have had, and instead marched up the gangplank with a confidence which was only somewhat feigned. Upon boarding he looked about at the gathered figures and gave them a perfunctory nod of greeting.

"Well met. I am L'harent Viestelund, scribe and recordkeeper sent on behalf of the Collegium Magica." He adjusted his knapsack yet again, his back starting to bend from the strain, but he kept his focus on the faces of those gathered there. "As I am tasked with the creation of a full accounting of our diplomatic efforts, I plan on meeting with each and every one of you throughout the voyage. We can discuss this further, perhaps when we have embarked? In the meantime, where might I find my quarters - and, follow-up question: is it possible to procure a windowless cabin?"

Posting status: Around.
Old Nov 18th, 2022, 11:09 PM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
One of the sailors guffaws "windowless cabin, good one. perhaps you'd like to bunk in the hold."
Thereare a total of 8 modest cabins, 4 on either side of the ship, and each with a porthole with a glass window, as well as bunk space for the crew of 74, and some storage space for passengers. The ship is 100 feet in length with a beam of 25 feet, and weighs in around 300 tons laden weight with 2 decks, and an arsenal of 10 ballista.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 01:21 AM
Risen Lich

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2689
Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik Chaos Havik
Forge
right-aligned image

A long groan came form a much shorter man as the heavily armored cleric walked his way over to the ship. dealing qwith talking to possibly angry elves was doable, but to do so and get on a boat was making his stomach turn. A dawrf that spent most his life with two feet on, and under, the ground, boats were always a strange territory for him.

"Aye!" He calls out as he meets up with the assembling crew. "Praise be The Great Crafter himself, at least the thing doesn't look like it will just wobble over. The name be Biroff, I have been tasked with aiding on this expedition."

Last edited by Chaos Havik; Nov 19th, 2022 at 01:23 AM.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 08:32 PM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 646
Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall
Thalion Valvaliss
right-aligned image

A thin elf-like figure strolls up the docks, quietly plugging a lute and humming to himself. Thalion looks over the ship as he walks by and nods his head as if he is giving it an appraising look. He has no idea what is or isn't good on a ship, what they are supposed to have in order, or even what they look like apart from the general idea of a "boat". However, an early lesson he learned was that people are more likely to take you seriously if you are least make an effort. Pitiful though that effort may be.

Thalion looks around at the, erm, variable cast of people that have gathered on the docks. He mentally calculates what the advantages and risks are involved in negotiating a social situation with such a diverse group of being is, logs that number away, and continues on. This will make for a fun adventure anyhow and could serve for a lyric someday. He walks up to the one named Deanna and bows in a shallow, respectful, but not overly dramatic fashion.

"Hello Ms. Deanna, and assembled members. My name is Thalion Valvaliss, my friends call me Tal, and my enemies call me... Other things... But perhaps I will be more noted by my stage name "The Nightengale". I take no offence if you aren't familiar with me, I'm just beginning to make my mark here. I was told to be here at precisely this time by Brillious Eldrathar of the Sylvan woods. He said that this would be an expedition most suited to my unique abilities. At best, I can talk my way in and out of just about any situation. At worst, I play a mean jig." He reaches his lute back and taps on the fiddle strapped to the side of his pack. He gives a sidelong smile, and chuckles to himself. "I promise, I won't get in the way. Just think of me as moral support and on-demand entertainment. I'll lighten your loads and sing your troubles away." He strums gracefully on his lute to exemplify the point.

"But enough about me, I can't wait to get to know you all. Tally Ho! Let us... Mount? This... Fine vessel?" he squeeks out the last word "vessel" with a tone of "I have no idea what I'm talking about". He's not trying to hide it either. There's a time for deception and false pretenses. This is not one of them. One does not have to be master of all. He laughs and then coughs. "I'll just get on the ship then."

He puts his head down and marches up the gang-plank.

Last edited by Knightfall; Nov 19th, 2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old Nov 19th, 2022, 11:51 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 219
galenbd galenbd galenbd
Given the...irregular...nature of the incoming passengers, Beordir is sure he is in the correct place. Deanna showing up certainly helps things along. He looks around the ship with a more care. There's certainly a attitude of casual recklessness. That must be some sort of requirement to travel on the open sea. It seems there's a scholar and a troubadour. Beordir is not sure what his place is in this group. Still a diplomatic mission to other elves will certainly be memorable.

He turns and waits expectantly for the Deanna and the Captain to manage the incoming passengers.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 01:47 AM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
As Thalion strides aboard the ship without invitation the captain looks over his short passange manifest and looks to Deanna, raising a single eyebrow in the form of a question.
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 03:51 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32
Angelus820
left-aligned image
Angosin looks around at the gathering crowd and, spotting Deanna, steps up to her. "My good Lady, I am Angosin and I am at your service. I wanted to let you know that I do speak Vensuvian, if you are in need of that skill."
Old Nov 20th, 2022, 11:49 PM
It's clobberin' time

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17650
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
L'harent Viestelund
right-aligned image

"The hold, yes... windowless? Perfect." Only partially focused on the conversation, L'harent was only too relieved to finally have an endgame for where to store his goods. That the offer had been made in jest occurred to him not at all. He was about to proceed down belowdecks, but it seemed as though there were still others in the process of boarding. Knowing that his early impressions were important for posterity, L'harent found a bare crate lid and used it for a writing surface. He unpacked a jar of ink, a quill, and a large, leather-bound book stamped with the seal of the Collegium Magica. Carefully opening the cover, L'harent lay the book flat and began to write.

Quote:
Spawning 26, YG 958

A Diplomatic Mission to Vensuvia, day one

Arrived at the harbor where the boat “Serendipity” lay at anchor. I am unfamiliar with boats by and large, but after speaking to a gentleman by the name (or perhaps title?) of Boatswain Orloff, I am led to understand the Serendipity belongs to a class of ship known as a “Main cargo hauler.” Mr. Orloff was gracious enough to share the technical aspects of the ship, which I record here now:

Length: 100 feet

Width (or “Beam”): 25 feet

Laden weight: 300 tons

Unladen weight: Not available, must remember to ask Mr. Orloff at a later date

Number of Decks: 2

Crew: Space for 74

Passengers: Cabins for 8

Munitions: The Serendipity is armed with 10 ballista, though it stands to reason that the crew would carry their own small arms

On the whole, I understand this to be a “medium-sized” ship – larger than a caravel, smaller than a galleon. I am reassured by this, even if sailing is a new and, frankly, unnerving prospect.

L’harent dipped his quill again and was about to resume writing, but a jovial voice broke his concentration. He looked up and saw another elf, a minstrel of some sort, who was currently standing midway across the gangplank while speaking in a cheerful tone that only somewhat obscured his unease with boarding. Is that-? No. No it couldn’t be. The Nightengale? HERE? L’harent froze, uncertain what his next move should be. Diving overboard was his first instinct, though there might be enough places in the hold for him to hide out. And yet he did not move a muscle. On the one hand, the unrelentingly optimistic voice of Apologies, Knightfall, if I am taking too many liberties with my characterization of Thalion – I thought it would be helpful from a gameplay perspective if our two characters knew one another, though feel free to go the other way as well. L’harent is certainly introverted and indoorsy enough that he might not be rememberedThalion Valvaliss was one which he was all too familiar with. Having both called the Sylvan woods their home for many, many years, they were not strangers, yet the two of them could not be any more different. Thalion was an accomplished musician and orator who filled the air with light and song. L’harent preferred a quiet room, a glass of wine, and a silence marred only by the scratching of a quill. On the other hand… The elf sighed in resignation. On the other hand, it was nice to see a familiar face, especially in an unfamiliar and uncomfortable setting like being out on the open sea. The elven scribe raised a hand in greeting.

”Thalion. Fancy seeing you here. Are you well? It’s been some time since I saw you last.”

Posting status: Around.

Last edited by silveroak; Nov 21st, 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 12:24 AM
Hunter of the Wumpus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 646
Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall Knightfall
Thalion Valvaliss
right-aligned image

Halfway up the plank, Thalion hears his name called out. He stops in his tracks and lifts up his head, scanning the surroundings. His eyes settle on the scholar on the docks. He racks his mind to remember who it is... "Laredo? Larisson? Lapido?... No... It's uhhh." He snaps his fingers as he jumps across bars, inns, noble parties, libraries..

"L'harent!!! Good gods, I thought I had found a fan or admirer, turns out it was you. So I found something better! A friend!" Thalion skips down the plank and back on the docks. He trots over to L'harent and, skillfully avoiding the book on the crate, the ink bottle, and the the quill, he grabs L'harent by the should and shakes his arm vigorously, though not harshly. A small splash of ink flits through the air and lands on L'harent's shoulder from the freshly dipped quill. Thalion pauses. Laughs shamefully, and quickly sings:

"Press the vine, fill the crate, time to prestidigitate." quickly casting prestidigitation to clean the spot off his jacket. "I'm sorry my friend, good as new. I'm surprised you hailed me! It has been a long time, though I think the last time we met I had had a little too much to drink after one of my shows... I don't drink anymore... I thought you were never going to forgive me, I made such a fool of myself. I can't imagine the bottle of ink was cheap, but the way that man's teeth were stained black for two whole weeks! By Charles the Good, I thought I was going to be run out of the inn. No matter though now, those were my younger days, foolish days. I've been performing in the city proper more recently, which may be why we cross paths less, but it's good to see you again, truly."

There was no denying that L'harent was a very smart and well seasoned person. These were the kind of people that Thalion was hoping would be on these trips. A burgeoning career in politics isn't just about oration and performance. Sometimes knowing how to make a strong impression without using words and flamboyancy is a valuable skill to have in one's tool chest. If he was lucky enough, Thalion may be able to learn even by simply watching people like L'harent work.

Last edited by Knightfall; Nov 21st, 2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 11:52 AM
Dark Lord of Red Tape

Tools
User Statistics
Note: the ship is a design unique to carlsport and does not conform to specifications you might find for medieval ships, nor does it share their names. There are 74 crewmen, also someone would have stopped you from going into the actual hold.
Old Nov 21st, 2022, 12:45 PM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8021
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Deanna Danaan
right-aligned image

Deanna looks over at the Captain " Lady Goldenbough has chosen those who travel with me, and it is not my place to question her. I will take responsibility for ensuring the passangers do not get in the way of the crew, and will serve myself if you request me to. I have studies that I would continue if there is time.".

As each of the others comes onto the ship, she marks them in her mind. To Angosin, she smiles and says "A useful skill to have", she curtseys to the Dwarf and nods in salute to the other elves. To them, she is clearly a Nature Priestess and one who has the ears of the Druidic Council as her uncle is its leader. Clearly, she has some good contacts in Carlsport as well.

She turns to the Captain, speaking clearly so that all can hear. "I shall take the cabin nearest the stern on the port side for myself. I make one request only. Leave me in peace whe I am in there so that I can study. If I am needed on deck, I shall respond to the normal calls." She makes her way towards the steps that lead below. "The rest of you find a cabin and stow your gear. If you know about sailing you should assist the crew. If you do not, touch nothing without being told to and stay out of the way of the crew." She then leaves the deck and enters her cabin, closing the door firmly.

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.