twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2024, 12:11 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34225
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Hall of Fame Nominations 2024

right-aligned image
Greetings, RPG Crossing Adventurers!

It's that time of year again, a moment we eagerly anticipate in the RPG Crossing calendar – the Hall of Fame event! The Hall of Fame already boasts some of the greatest games this site has seen, but we know there are more out there deserving of joining its esteemed ranks. Now is the time to let us know about them.

All of our Hall of Fame games are nominated, often seconded, by our members. These nominations come from games that have been running for at least a year at the time of nomination or are already completed. These rules are clearly outlined at the beginning of our nominations phase. Afterward, everyone on the site is invited to vote for the nominated games. The top results of the vote are then offered to our esteemed panel of judges. Using a detailed rubric, these judges carefully select which games will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Good luck to all nominees!

~ Savoylen (HOF 2007) and Ildrahil (HOF 2022)
NEW in 2024!Based on community feedback and a lot of suggestions from the people that volunteer MANY MANY MANY HOURS/DAYS/WEEKS to keep events like this one running on this site, there are a few new updates to the 2024 HOF selection process.

Phase One: Open nominations for games by our community last about 4 weeks.
You'll use this thread (see below) to make those nominations.

Phase Two: Instant Run-off voting last two weeks

You'll be asked to rank at least three nominated games, allowing for a more nuanced and inclusive selection process. The top games will be chosen using an Instant Runoff system, similar to the one used in the Iron DM competition, ensuring that every vote counts and reflects the preferences of our diverse community.

Phase Three: Criteria Based Ranking by judging panel lasting about two weeks.

If you would like to be a Hall of Fame judge for the Class of 2024, it's not too late to apply. You may not be in the running as a GM to be a judge, and we'd prefer you weren't a player either in any of the nominated games. Click here and fill out the brief form. Applications to judge will be closed on April 15th when nominations close or if Savoylen or Ildrahil (your hosts) fills a well-balanced group from those who have already volunteered.

Game Criteria
  • Solo Games must have at least 300 in-game posts.
  • Group Games are eligible if they meet one of the following requirements: the game must have been active for at least a full year on this site (this means the game's first in-game post must be dated on or before March 15, 2023); or, the game must have at least 750 in-game posts and have reached its intended conclusion (please demonstrate how it's reached that conclusion).
  • Games which have already been inducted into the Hall of Fame are ineligible for repeat nomination. However, previously nominated games that didn't get in are eligible.
  • Staff-run games are no longer eligible for nominations.
  • Inactive games are eligible for nomination! Just because a game is finished or has died off, it doesn't mean that it's not a prime example of what we like to see.
  • You can nominate any game that meets the criteria, even if you were/are a GM/player! It's not arrogant. It's nominating a game that you loved and thought was great – and that's what we want to see.
  • You must have at least 100 posts to nominate a game.

• Any unsportsmanlike behavior will invalidate a nomination, whether that nomination was posted by the bad sport or not, to be judged by your hosts. This includes, but is not limited to, PMing everyone you know to vote for your game, leaning on people to vote a certain way, as well as pretty much anything that wasn't said publicly. Posting a message in OOC threads in which you're involved saying one of your other games has been nominated is fine. That's spreading the word, especially if you ask everyone to come read all the nominations. Spending time in private trying to determine which game you think should be nominated (instead of other equally good games) just to try and ensure a game gets into the Hall of Fame is gaming the system. (PS - engaging in bad behavior on the part of someone else's game just to trigger this rule is also verboten.)

Instead of any of the aforementioned bad behavior, perhaps your time would be better spent finding the best sections of the game to demonstrate its quality? Please don't make us be the bad guy.

What we are looking for in a game
  • Quality posts – good role-playing is always a plus.
  • Longevity – dedication to a game on this site is one of the highest aspirations of a GM and players.
  • Good Implementation – whether it's a very unique game idea or it's a classical game idea done very well, a masterful GM and players make any game fun.

[FIELDSET=Nomination + Seconding Format]Name: (include a link)
DM(s): Self-explanatory.
Current Players: include past players if you wish

Reasons for nomination: Describe your reasons for nominating the game and why you think it deserves a spot in the Hall of Fame.

Links: You must provide at least one link to a section of ten posts which you would like reviewers to read. This link is allowed a paragraph of up to 300 words to set the scene. You may only provide two of these linked sections. (Please stick to only two links, as it's unfair to others if your game gets more points of contact from reviewers. You can always have someone second the nomination to get two more! Thanks.)
SECONDING nominations should contain their own nomination and description so that the thread isn't cluttered with people just posting "I second this!" Nominations that are a simple 'I second this nomination' will be deleted. Please do not "third" or "fourth" or "fifth" a nomination. It's annoying. Two is plenty.

On April 15th (a month from now), there will be a new voting/ranking thread to narrow the list down using a ranking system. The hosts will have all the information you need to make your votes count in that thread.

You can peruse all the previous Hall of Fame inductees here.

Q & A

Last edited by savoylen; Mar 15th, 2024 at 01:12 AM.
Old Mar 16th, 2024, 07:36 AM
He/Him

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26297
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Nomination - Dragons of a Broken World

GameDragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance Age of Mortals Campaign (D&D5e)
DMElanir
Players
PlayerCharacterStatus
AndorPnoahLeft behind
Begon UgoTalia DawnstarCurrent
Black JimXihueCurrent
FCastorIsandril MoonsilverCurrent
HayarKaylen NightstoneLeft behind
JonnyGulliverRedwatersCurrent
LazerDevari MarossaCurrent
MindsiegeBlyneCurrent
MirasiahHope HalliberCurrent
Noquarter19Aric ArmitageCurrent
RossNZendra ZantirCurrent
Tommyk382Tegan Uth WilliamCurrent
Reason for NominationSometimes it can take a month or so of posts for a game to really find its feet, for the GM to establish the world and for the players to find their characters' voices. Many games don't ever really manage this, instead they tick over with most posts being descriptions of actions with little else. This game, however, exploded out of the stocks, with Elanir's beautiful first GM post setting the scene and establishing the tone for the entire adventure to come.

Ever since that day almost two years ago now, we have been transported to the world of Krynn every single week, meeting with villainous nobles intent on using us for their own ends, coming to the aid of a band of elven refugees hiding fearfully from the Nerakan army, crossed an unforgiving desert with little in the way of supplies, and discovered the tomb of a forgotten dragon. Our characters have grown, painstakingly putting aside their mutual distrust and ever so gradually coming to care for each other and learning to work together. We have attracted the attention of the newly-returned gods and been given a sacred quest, even though none of us (with the notable exception of our High-Ogre) feel that we are truly worthy.

The game has been a source of joy through tough times. We have laughed at the antics of an irrepressible kender, cried along with the travails of our characters, cheered as our champion prevailed one-on-one against a much stronger foe, and gasped as all of the little clues that Elanir had been stringing out for months finally came clear. I find myself refreshing my browser many times every day, just hoping that somebody will have posted so that I can find out what will happen next?!

Elanir deserves the greatest of respect for the masterful way that he weaves our story together, drawing on character backstories, a deep knowledge of Dragonlance lore, and a real genius for storytelling, to keep everyone engaged for every single post. The proof of this is the fact that in two years, having started with nine PCs, far from losing some to attrition we now have ten! That's not to say we haven't lost any characters; Kaylen, our dwarven cleric played by Hayar, and Pnoah, the gnomish artificer played by Andor, are both sorely missed and our characters still think of them often, but we have since gained three new players whose characters have each had profound and significant effects on the game.

Inspired by Elanir's example every player in the game puts incredible effort into each post, bringing their PCs to life so that I feel like each of them are living, breathing mortals, with their own flaws and foibles, but who I just can't help but root for. Will Tegan ever prove himself worthy to be a Solamnic Knight? Will Isandril unravel the secrets of his past? Will Blyne reconcile the teachings of her mother with her lived experience of falling in love with a human? And will Xihue ever manage to father twenty more children? I need to know!
The Subtle Art of Gift-givingThis sequence from early in the game kicks off with the party taking leave of their host of several days, a Khurish lord who has behaved nobly and generously the entire time... but something doesn't sit right with the adventurers, perhaps prompted by his insistence that they vanquish a griffon that they had encountered rather than trying to help it return to its master, and they are happy to be going their separate ways. The noble, Jabbal, surprises the group with one final, and completely unexpected, gift; a beautiful young donkey named Eyin-Nima, soft-eyes. Had the companions been too hard on their host after all?
The Remains of the Dead After defeating a group of draconian bandits who had stolen the eggs of some giant eagles, we have a little bit of time to relax and pursue our own agendas. Redwaters, our resident spirit-walker, seizes the opportunity to put to rest some spirits trapped in their mangled remains. To do so he must take them to the top of the mountain, where the spirit realm is closer, and so three of us go to help him. The rest of the party stay, where they uncover an ancient dragon’s lair and explore what treasures it had left behind. The quality of posts was fantastic for far more than ten posts so my choice of where to start is somewhat arbitrary, and I had to make hard choices regarding some great posts which were missed. In the end I wanted to include Elanir’s typically beautiful and thorough post which concludes the section and sets up some of the consequences, which means we start with Zendra, our archaeologist, who is having some trouble with a curse and so feels like she can’t trust herself amongst so much history and treasure.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 12:09 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71770
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
left-aligned image
I don't have a dog in this fight.

Nor do I have a rat, cat, fox, hare, owl or other magical familiar that was one of the stars of The Witch is Dead--Volume I.

But I was huge peeker and reader of this delightful indie-game that ran on RPG Crossing from September 2020-September 2022.

Here's the premise ... some oaf and self-proclaimed "witch-hunter" (yes, the quotes signify he is a small and petty man), murdered a kind old witch. So now her familiars, naturally, are out for bloody revenge.

The players are the familiars, statted out with whiskers, minor cantrips, and a knack for grooming.

The GM Mallothi and a talented cast of RPG stalwarts brought this rules-lite, pay-what-you-can gem of an indie-RPG to life.

I'm sure they enjoyed playing it.

I loved reading it.

Here are two game sample sections ...

"Vengeance is mine!" they squeak. The task is given and the heroes assemble.

The Final Showdown ... of course the animals track down their prey--despite chapters and chapters of obstacles. And, now, the last, great battle begins. Fur and feathers will fly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Witch is Dead.png
Views:	252
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	102386  

Last edited by bananabadger; Mar 29th, 2024 at 09:43 AM.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 11:32 PM
Shadowrun 4E DM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1203
SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean SilverOcean
Nomination - Shadowrun: Welcome To Seattle (4E)

GameShadowrun: Welcome To Seattle (4E)

DMSilverOcean

Players
Name Character
Hiruma Kohaku Iron Hide
GleefulNihilism Shift
Nomad240 Riot
ErmineMouse/Erika
BoogiemanBibi (Retired; Character Still Present so giving credit still!Never forget Boogie!)
PsuedenimThumper
ArcZeroTonk
Scarecrow71Brass Tacks
SpatulaodoomBurnt

Reason for Nomination
“The lesson is this - the game is rigged. The cards are stacked. The dice are loaded. It's the same as it always was. Every cycle. People in power exert power. Little people cower in their homes, think what they're told to think, and buy whatever product will help them forget how horrible their lives are for another day. And that's why we don't *play* their fragging game. We don't swallow their drek sandwich and politely ask for another. It's why we run the shadows. That's where real life is, kiddo”-Harlequin (immortal elf in the lore)

Truer words couldn’t have been said to describe the world of shadowrun. Just hearing its name makes many TTRPG players tremble at the daunting task of learning its system. I will not deny there is some truth to the rumors, however despite this I had an amazing set of players take a chance and I am glad they did. The two questions being asked are “Why I am nominating this game? and why I think it deserves a place in the hall of fame?” and to me it's really simple. My Players. I can’t begin to describe how honored and humble I feel at being their Dungeon Master.

Seeing them tackle the system head on and create such amazing characters has really made this the best experience I have ever had in a TTRPG. This includes IRL sessions as well. Another thing to consider besides the system itself is the lore surrounding Shadowrun, the game isn’t for the faint of heart and I say so in the most polite way I can. Shadowrun isn’t for everyone and it takes real life issues like poverty, racism and tosses them front and center in players faces. Players really see how low humanity can go if magic really did return to the world of ours and the depths of evil they have to face.

For those who don’t know what a shadowrunner is, the quickest definition I can give is as follows: “Shadowrunner- a mercenary for hire to do a wide range of jobs. Such as Data Stealing, People recovery, and any other jobs one might think in a cyberpunk universe” Each character forms a team providing a specific role to that team be it a mage, face (Job is to negotiate pay and other issues), hacker and street samurai(Warrior of the group)

Each one of my players took the time to craft intricate characters that are more than just their role suggests. Both groups started strong in Mission one and Currently mission two is ongoing. However, where they really found their voices was during what we call “Downtime” which is the time between missions where each character can either use their Karam(EXP) to improve themselves in some way or just role play.

One example is “Riot” she is an elf who is played by Nomand240 who is the street samurai of the group who is headstrong and uses her fists to protect her friends. It was by chance she met a ork named “junior” who would have a huge impact on her. It was just one date where she learned that not all monsters are physical, that the emotional ones can be just as deadly.

Then we have Burnt who is played by Spatulaofdoom who has taken the role of “Face” for his team.He has had a troubled past dealing with the police and finding himself locked up for a while. After spending some time in the slammer he is just trying to get back on his feet.He currently finds himself in company with an Ork named Maccalister and his adoptive daughter who just so happens to be a Star Singer. Will he have the strength and learn to trust again? Can he protect the people closest to him? Only time will tell.

I could write mountains for each character in my game because each and every one of them is a living breathing person who you just can hope but root for and hope that despite the despair that they sometimes find themselves in.You hope that everyone will find some semblance of happiness and that shadow that looms over them in the form of a clown isn’t there to end their journey.

Downtime Group ALike I mentioned this is where we find my players true strength! Each one of these short stories is easy to dive right in and get a sense of their strong roleplay and character development in such a short amount of time.Like was mentioned Earlier in group a, we have Riot who was asked out on a date by an ork named junior who she later learned was named “Johnny”

From the start it seemed like everything was going well! Johnny treated her like a queen, treating her to the best ribs in Seattle from “The Big Rhino ''!Ice cream floats in wine glasses! And to top the night off. Karaoke where he sang a classic rock love song to her “Love comes walking in” By Van halen.She is later awakened to the sound of a piano playing and finds Johnny in despair where she learns the truth about his past.

Downtime Group BAs with Group A these short stories are very easy to get into and while there are similarities in the story of Junior they are acted upon differently.In our other group we have Burnt who absolutely loves the famous pop singer Maria mercurial.

In the first mission he wanted to see her show live! But is unable too due to the fact he isn’t at the night club for leisure but to get a job done. In his downtime however he is invited back to the nightclub called “Underworld 93” Where she is putting on a VIP 80s concert! The Song she sings for the night is “Dress you up in my love” By Madonna.While Burnt is enjoying the atmosphere he receives a call on his comlink from Macallister. Where he later meets the Star of the night.But little did he know it wasn’t going to be just any meeting. He was once again going to be roped into another job….

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:16 AM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29266
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Nomination: West Marches
The GameWest Marches

DMsecretID, PurpleRook, LeDragon, and many more

Reasons for Nomination
Is it a style? Is it a setting? Is it a campaign? Yes to all three! In West Marches campaigns, multiple DM's lead short one-shot adventures, although there may be plot themes that link the one shots even if the PC's change. The RPGX West Marches campaign was started by mightymconeshot in 2017 and in the time since there have been several DM's (currently secretID, PurpleRook, LeDragon) and far too many players to list.

The game takes place in the immersive setting of Westhaven, which centers around an Inn called "On Your Shield." There, the PC's and NPCs roleplay in between adventures, and when a DM has a new game to advertise they do it there in character. The adventures themselves are extremely varied, including classic dungeon crawls, wilderness adventures, chaperoning NPCs, and more. Each one builds the world around Westhaven a little more. In between adventures is mandatory downtime which follows most of the official 5e downtime mechanics. Before they can level up, a player must either write a downtime post for their PC, or write a storytelling post in the fireside thread. There are threads for buying magic items that other PC's recovered in other games, and a thread for training to the next level.

It's all very complex to manage but the transparent and clear rules and the hard working moderators have kept the system flowing smoothly for seven years. I have gone on six adventures with many DM's. Each one is too short to qualify for HoF by themselves (usually lasting a few months). But as a whole, it's a unique and very inclusive and welcoming corner of RPGX.

Example 1: Call me Valkyrie
This first example is the last 10 posts of a Purple Rook adventure called "Call me Valkyrie". The party is a water genasi cleric (played by Mindsiege), a half-elf ranger (MontageManiac), a warforged fighter (secretID), a leonin figher (DrGonzo, who had left just before this point), and a kenku monk (me). In an earlier adventure we had connected with an alien civilization of mouselike creatures from a crash site called Xyco with advanced spacefaring technology. The crashed ship had been a containment unit for various life forms that are now loose. In this adventure, we are chaperoning an intelligent AI-based attack shuttle named Valkyrie from Westhaven to Xyco. My character, Snap Kick, who can only communicate by mimicry, has formed a very strong telepathic bond with Valkyrie and has found he is a natural pilot. The scene occurs after we fended off an attack of assassins. MontageManiac's ranger discovers that he has been the victim of a strange poison and Valkyrie has been damaged.

Call me Valkyrie Posts 154-163

Example 2: Downtime
The next example is from the downtime thread, from right after the adventure. You can see how things that happen in a game carry through to the larger campaign and you can see some other characters from other adventures doing their thing.

Downtime 168-177

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 02:21 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13018
purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook purplerook
Nomination + Seconding FormatName: The West Marches > The Door > Cased of the Kidnapped Flowers
DM(s): Purple Rook and Others.
Current Players: Jihanna (tordon), Maghrim Oroz (Luezon), Ghatan Darbesh (Justsujoy),Xand'R (Ghrimm),Zosia (Star Moth),Llewelyn (FatherDondo)

Reasons for nomination: Short Form (single Episode/Scene format)

The Door and Silk Road are two adventures run inside The West Marches. The Door is designed to allow new players to get a sense of PbP and The West Marches without committing to a full adventure. Characters can enter/pause/leave at the Start or end of an Episode (typically 4-8 Rounds or posts of GM and players). It was designed to be like old-style dungeons, where there is a different adventure in each room.

The Silk Road enhances The Door format by providing an over-arching campaign/adventure but allowing characters to enter/pause/leave at each episode.

All The West Marches rules (e.g., character generation, level-up, treasure) apply to The Door and Silk Road. The two short-format adventures have a few rules of their own.

The Door Background and Rules

Old Apr 11th, 2024, 08:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17084
secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID secretID
Name: It wasn't clear to me whether purplerook was seconding West Marches as a whole. Sorry if so.Seconding West Marches

DM(s): A rotating cast, currently purplerook (original), secretID (several years), and LeDragon (three years).

Current Players: Many and hard to say, which is something of the point

Reasons for nomination: We have basically been running a sub-RPGX for years, though that wasn't the original intent. Play occurs in "adventures" about the length of a one-shot, but plotlines can run through several adventures, with PCs rotating in and out. Players and DMs come and go, but unlike in RPGX overall, plotlines and characters can continue. When PCs leave, new ones can seamlessly rotate in, and when DMs leave the PCs can move into different stories.

West Marches provides an ideal place for new players and new DMs. We have had almost 500 (!) characters, likely more than 100 played by players brand new to the site. The unfortunate but expected reality is that the large majority of those brand-new players ghost, but West Marches can easily handle that.

West Marches provides prospective DMs the opportunity to run a relatively short adventure, with an easily accessible group of players and experienced DMs to help. I had never DMed before I started in West Marches for just those reasons. I've been doing it for years now, but I don't expect to ever start a full RPGX game of my own because of the commitment and because of the difficulty in holding on to a group of players for long enough to finish a story.

Link: The Party Planning Thread

Right now things are quieter than they have been in a long time, so I linked to this OOC organizing thread to show how many players and DMs West Marches has had interacting at different times.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:47 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7936
FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor FCastor
Seconding - Dragons of a Broken World

GameDragons of a Broken World: A Dragonlance Age of Mortals Campaign (D&D5e)
DMElanir
Players
PlayerCharacterStatus
AndorPnoahLeft behind
Begon UgoTalia DawnstarCurrent
Black JimXihueCurrent
FCastorIsandril MoonsilverCurrent
HayarKaylen NightstoneLeft behind
JonnyGulliverRedwatersCurrent
LazerDevari MarossaCurrent
MindsiegeBlyneCurrent
MirasiahHope HalliberCurrent
Noquarter19Aric ArmitageCurrent
RossNZendra ZantirCurrent
Tommyk382Tegan Uth WilliamCurrent
Reason for NominationDragonlance has been near and dear to me ever since I first read the Chronicles trilogy and the trials and tribulations of the Heroes of the Lance. In fact, it was Weis and Hickman rather than Tolkien who ushered me into the world of fantasy. Of course, I did not simply call it a day with Chronicles, as I then moved on to Legends and many more books, the world and history of Krynn and its heroes and villains expanding with each one. But, here is the thing. Even if I had never read those books? Even if I had not played in a Dragonlance campaign at an actual table before, like I have? This would still be a phenomenal game and an incredible experience.

Elanir's DM posts are as fantastic as they are... well... verbose. Which just means there is more of them to enjoy, by the way. They set the scene and the mood, they paint a vivid picture of not only what is happening but also what is at stake. And like all good and great paintings, they more often than not evoke emotions, be they of wonder or sadness or horror. Each and every one of them I find to be the equal of many a published word and I stand by that statement.

But no matter how good a DM is, they need players equally invested in the story and their characters, players that can portray the heroes and heroines of the story skillfully enough that they feel like they are more than just letters and numbers. That they, as the saying goes, jump off the page. And I dare say that such a feat is accomplished here. From quite literally the first post the players and writers, past and present both, have played and written their characters with a quality that I honestly do not believe has ever wavered. Their trials and tribulations, their triumphs and tragedies, their thoughts and actions, have been written beautifully.

And there are more yet to come.
ReunionThere are two sayings, adages as old as time... Well, alright, maybe not, but what is life without a bit of hyperbole? One is "Never split the party" and the other is "Rules are made to be broken". In our case the latter of the sayings is chosen in favor of the former more than once. On one such occasion, after the companions had, well, split into two groups in order to pursue two equally important goals, they are finally reunited, minus Kaylen, the dwarven cleric. This is that reunion, a somewhat bittersweet affair framed nicely by Elanir's DM posts.
DuelWhat would Dragonlance be without at least a few minotaurs? And what point would there be to said minotaurs without our merry band making it their business to interact with those armed and armored and not at all dangerous-looking gentle... umm... people? Taurs? Anyway... How about some action? A rather large minotaur and a rather smaller human go at it while our protagonists watch and comment (sadly, no bets were placed). But is it really without weapons when one has horns?

I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 01:23 PM
The Midnight Fairy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 42767
Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena Humble Athena
HoF Nomination
Name: Denizens of Dread: The Witch-Finder Chronicles: Tome of the Raven
DM: DaniLore
Current Players: Humble Athena, case, AlphaZ, ArcZero, Snicker, MoldyNolds, cottontailwind, ihinka
Past Players: OsmundCinderholt, Ballingray, ElderOblex* (on hiatus), Boogieman*(on hiatus)

Reasons for nomination: Even though this game takes place on the Demiplane of Dread, it doesn't feel cookie cutter. Every GM post is chock full of detail that brings the world to vivid, if often horrifying, life. Each NPC has as much personality as a fully fleshed out PC, all of whom come together in a beautiful simmering stew of words.

An eclectic assortment of individuals have been lead through the infamous Mists to a small domain in the Demiplane of Dread known as Souragne, dominated by a massive swamp where dead things thrive.

Links:

What better place to start than at the beginning? Dani's introduction to the game does a wonderful job of setting the tone, and as each character wanders in, their personalities and secrets start to push up against each other in delightful ways.

The blast and the loss of Noemie. A tragedy strikes that raises the stakes and eliminates the fragile feeling of safety the crew had been starting to enjoy.

Last edited by Humble Athena; Apr 13th, 2024 at 01:25 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5972
prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100 prometheous100
HOF Nomination
Name: Academy of Heroes
DM: dalarangreen
Current Players: ElvenMaiden, rhaiber, Exhibit A, SpatulaODoom, Nebula
Past Players: Imveros, LittleBlueNA, xenavire, prometheous100, MoonZar, CottonTailwind, GeneT, SolidSnek, CatCanCook
Reasons for Nomination: dalarangreen somehow keeps the story moving with a cast of characters who seem to have a tendency to wander a bit, without being 'railroad-y'. The active players interact with each other and play off each other well. The game is slow moving but has been running for nearly 6 years (since 2018).

Links:
Spindletop tickling a monster as a form of attack Though almost any post by Rhaiber could probably go here.

Combat post from dalarangreen. Combat can sometimes drag in play by post, especially in slower running games like this one, but it's always worth it in this game because the DM has something for everyone.

Mirabelle being embarrassed about her part in a cafe ElvenMaiden talking to fellow players after a culture festival maid cafe straight out of anime.

Good Implementation:
The game takes place in an academy training future heroes. The DM ensures that there is sufficient time for each part that an academy would have. There have been classroom scenes, practical training, 'internships', teacher interactions, peer interactions, pretty much everything you would expect from a school setting with different ideas on morality and ethics all crammed into a 'small' space. Also, the out of character chat is super friendly!

Last edited by prometheous100; Apr 13th, 2024 at 11:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Nominations for 2024 HOF will close midnight tonight central us time. Thank you!
- The Hosts
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12385
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Name: The Knick Knacks of Doom
DM: DraconigenaArma
Current Players: Admin Dirk, dbaque, GleefulNihilism, Grouchy, LeoByron, Mrjoegangles, MundayKnight, Mythrandil, ricktur63, triedtherest, Unforgiven; past players: Arcanejazz, AwesomeEllie, Battlechaser, Bio, BloodyMagpie, brann_miekka, Caecielien, Cancer, Captain K, CarCanCook, Cristal08Darkmoon, dalarangreen, Dieuoffire, DoubleL1987, Dragune185, goplayer7, Hound, Jocularity, Kaylara, MagicallyMusing, Numen_Wraith, Scimmy, Silk, silverfeathers, SolarDragon, The Iron Dragon, Tyeal, Valistar, WorldPerfect

Reasons for nomination:
The Knick Knacks of Doom campaign world has been active on this site for its 12th year having started in January 2012 and is home to two parallel adventures, with a third due to open for applications in the next month or so. These campaigns interconnect and build on common lore, no just what I have written, but also events and actions of previous characters in previous campaigns. The first generation of Knick Knacks of Doom started with what is now called the Trinket Hunters story, and was a thinly veiled rewrite of the Masks of Destiny Campaign from dndadventure.com with some cosmetic changes. As the game progressed I developed my voice and story. The campaign became a completely unique multi-chapter arc which resembled the MoD Campaign only in spirit. The Knick Knacks of Doom campaign world has weathered player attrition, my career changes and military service, real-life tragedies, the migration from DnDO to RPGx, the transition from 3.5 to Pathfinder, the conclusion of one story and the adoption of another, side games, fun games, the OGL wars, and more which I can only assume I've forgotten. A feather in my own cap, so to speak, is that one of the stories being told is a stable epic, mythic, and divine play campaign. I can only attribute much of that success to the stupendous players I am lucky to have, including dbaque who was one of the first players of the first game and has been around for everything the campaign has accomplished since.

The game has the third-highest post count of any Pathfinder 1e game on the site and has consistently been in the top 3 – 5 since 2014, and while I have run multiple games at once, it is still important to consider these numbers are representative of a game which, for most of its tenure, had 3 or so players at any one time. Still, it has been active enough to compete with multi-DM games with multi parties full of PCs not in spurts, but for a decade - to the tune of about 4 posts per day for twelve years. It has been a game with incredible activity over the years with threads making it into the site's top lists many times since 2013. Its players over the years have included Easter Egg Hunt Champions, Post of the Month winners, site staff, newsletter contributors, and more.

What I enjoy most about the Knick Knacks of Doom is how it has explored both sides of the table top spectrum. In the Ultimate Dungeon we have a pure dungeon crawl, in the midst of which players have still found opportunities for role play and bonding. In the narrative driven campaigns we have championed the unique, literary aspect of roleplaying games which play by post can do in a way no other medium can. In this campaign series I have been able to experiment with and perfect many cultural norms which enterprise on the aspects which can only be done through play by post gaming. Knick Knacks of Doom has shown collaborative storytelling can be done with game systems as a framework, and not a goal in and of themselves. In the game style I laid out with Knick Knacks of Doom I have found players are more inclined to spend time on side stories, puzzles, interpersonal conflicts, and the like without using these side quests as mindless experience grinding. The campaigns include private threads for side quests and personal missions and my favorite feature: threads dedicated to side plots and conversations which may otherwise stall the game. Non-combat adventures have as much bearing on their characters as combat ones. It has had a positive impact on exploration of the campaign, since playing two or three combats can happen in a day at the table but one combat can take weeks on site. Knick Knacks of Doom has become more than a long story, it is a dense and complex tale with personal stories, parallel plotlines, recurring characters, love interests, and a wealth of established and ever-expanding lore.

KKoD has a unique world, with exclusive cosmos, calendar, and topography. The effects of the campaign have influenced the backstory and lore of the campaign world, and influenced the events of other campaigns set in the future of the same universe. This custom world has provided room to build and explore off-shoots and side games over the years. The disc has hosted off and on again projects such as the Rabid Halfling Swarm and the Ultimate Dungeon. The custom world has been further explored and expanded on by players who have taken on projects for themselves, creating art and stories of their own to flesh out the world. I take it as an honor, and a rare treat, to see players taking ownership over seeds I have planted.

Despite any changes or theory I impose upon the game, much of it has flourished because of the enthusiasm of the players embracing the concepts. Their influence is much of what makes this game one of my favorites. My experiences on this site has shown "build it and they will come" is insufficient to make a game great and enjoyable. It takes players who run with these ideas and make them their own to go from playable to incredible. I love how my players care about the ramifications of their actions, and not because I demand they do so. More than any other game I have participated in Knick Knacks of Doom is the epitome of collective storytelling over mindless gaming and all I did was open the door for my fantastic players to take my ideas and improve on them.

Additionally, I have striven throughout the years to be as adaptive and receptive to the game my players want to play. By encouraging an environment where the players are comfortable to voice their opinions and engaging in honest conversations about the quality of play I have been able to adapt what I wrote in my notes into an enjoyable and playable result. I owe much of the thanks for this rapport to my players over the years who have made great contributions to the OOC thread, creating more than a place to discuss the game and instead establishing a community where the players can communicate as friends. Platitudes aside, many of the players from this game became legitimate friends who I still communicate with today through messenger, Facebook, text, and others. I have not experienced a transition from site-friend to personal-friend in the same way as I have with many of the players of KKoD.

Links
Chapter 4 – Down by the Sea: Negotiations
This is a blast from the past, a set of posts I still really like despite being from 2013.

They have a habit of setting buildings ablaze before ascertaining who is inside it. During the invasion of a keep they set the barracks on fire, but inside were the worker slaves the orcs had chained up. So the scene I am linking to starts the moment they escape the burning building with the last of the slaves. They have broken free as the building is coming down around their ears. Out in the courtyard, enjoying the blissful winter air, they are given no rest as a villain they overlooked before, a winter wolf on a chain, is free and standing between them and freedom. Plus, it is threatening the slaves they freed with icy-breath death. Instead of risking the lives of the innocents, the PCs try to negotiate. The mechanical act of negotiating is not difficult, a number of the party members have the diplomacy skill and the bard in the group can talk almost any enemy into entertaining a conversation. What I love about this game is how they took everything a step further. They did not negotiate away a fight, they pumped the wolf for information and even broker a tenuous peace treaty for the nearby town they have liberated. They took a simple guard-dog on a chain which was supposed to be a speed bump fight (or a way to bolster one of the main encounters if I wanted it to last) and transformed it into a story element which can influence the game chapters ahead.

Post 395 – 405

Unsuspecting Heroes
The epic level, mythic, and divine characters of the wildly overpowered Fated Children episodic campaign have accidentally entered a tournament which is, effectively, life or death. And if that is not enough to worry about, this tournament is set by the gods and those who win are recruited into the ranks of personal champions of certain deities. It is in this conversation with a humble barkeep, who is more than he sees, where the heroes find out how in over their heads they actually are.

Post 28 – 41
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Fire Emblem Connoisseur

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6606
ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero ArcZero
Hello all! I have to absolutely pay respect to my awesome DMs! If I'm allowed to second both of these nominations, I will! Otherwise as painful as it is to choose, the nomination for DaniLore's Denizens of Dread game will need to be my one nomination.
Seconding- Shadowrun: Welcome to Seattle (4E)
GameName: Shadowrun: Welcome to Seattle (4E)
DMSilverOcean
Players
PlayerCharacterStatus
Hiruma Kohaku Iron Hide Current
GleefulNihilism Shift Current
Nomad240 Riot Current
Ermine Mouse/Erika Current
Boogieman Bibi Previous
Psuedenim Thumper Current
ArcZero Tonk Current
Scarecrow71Brass Tacks Current
Spatulaodoom Burnt Current
Reason for NominationSilverOcean joined this site hitting the ground running! He had a real desire to keep the flame of Shadowrun alive by running multiple teams at once. As painful as the 20-year-old system can be, he always goes above and beyond in assisting his players. His tireless looking up of rules and helpful reminders makes it so much easier for his players to sit back and enjoy the action and roleplaying.

SilverOcean's enthusiasm is plain for all to see with the way he adapts these modules for play. Though I'm not an expert in these modules myself, he really finds opportunities for his players to shine and find real moments of connection with the NPCs that always feels like a living, breathing world. I think he does a wonderful job keeping things age-appropriate for this site while really selling the grittiness of the Shadowrun setting.

I don't want this to be the primary takeaway, but it is important for me to mention just how hard SilverOcean works. With English as his second language, he does a phenomenal job keeping up with storytelling and prose that it's often hard to realize it's his second language at all!
LinksThe 10 post entry I would like to highlight here is the start of Team A's second mission. I cannot speak for what Team B was getting up to, but SilverOcean pulled out all the stops setting the scene. We got to see how the world had developed since our last mission with lots of images to spice up the atmosphere. A terrorist plot hatching and political intrigue, netizen celebrities and the death of a character dear to our character's hearts: Pip. The characters get to re-introduce themselves, show how they've grown and changed and then settle into a diner for the next job. Each of our characters were affected in a different way with some of us being hit harder than others I really found this opening diner sequence very touching. It had notes of noir, delicate human stories, drama and camaraderie all rolled together with the futurist cyberpunk veneer.

I feel like these are the moments we as players, DMs and outside readers love to see! Getting to dig deep into how our characters feel and setting the stage for a gripping plot that makes us want to keep reading.
Seconding- Denizens of Dread: The Witch-Finder Chronicles, D&D 5th Edition
GameName: Denizens of Dread: The Witch-Finder Chronicles, Tome of the Raven. A 5th Edition D&D Adventure.
DMDaniLore
Players
PlayerCharacterStatus
AlphaZAlessa PerilaneCurrent
ArcZeroElovhen NenlithCurrent
Ballilngray Ler Khona Previous
BoogiemanOriole 'Odie' ArmadaHiatus
caseStefan BelascoCurrent
cottontailwindBeobachterin 'Beob'Current
ElderOblexVilheim 'Heim Halfhand' Elric Strann-yaztalHiatus
ihinkaKosara 'Hagbane' RusnovaCurrent
Humble AthenaNikol 'Nik' DravkinCurrent
MoldyNoldsHaasCurrent
OsmundCinderholtElias d'CannithPrevious
SnickerIda BlieckhausCurrent
Reason for NominationDaniLore is a mega fan of the Ravenloft setting. Every post she flexes her knowledge of the setting and her immaculate ability to handle dozens of character in a fully realized and tragic manner. She's such a sweetheart that she couldn't turn away a single one of the 24 applicants to her campaign! Running them in three teams of eight, she took on the herculean effort of holding together three parallel timelines. Add to this the insane detail and length of her posts and I'm surprised she was able to maintain that pace for any amount of time. Inevitably she had to reduce the game to a single team, but the quality of posts only increased, adding on players to a roster of 10. Each one started at their own location and gradually weaving the threads together. The way she's pushing the format to the limit by allowing all ten characters to pursue their own goals is breathtaking. And that's to say nothing of her prose and the atmosphere that she builds.

The level of detail in the domain of Souragne is nothing short of remarkable. The dread, grim outlook replete with tragic heroes and heroines, backstories and multiple interpretations of events is something more at home in a George RR Martin novel than a casual campaign. Take for example Larissa AKA the Ghost Captain, AKA Captain Snowmane. DaniLore gave us all the deep character interaction and lore we could possibly want while dangling morsels of deeper backstory like this before us for dozens of pages. Who are these characters and could they actually be one and the same? What does this mysterious Lord and Maiden of the swamp want? Are their guardian spirits here to do good or ill? What is the significance of Gennifer's power of prophecy that requires her to vomit up ink slugs? There are so many interesting wrinkles to the way she writes the story that I could be here literally all day!

On top of this, DaniLore is very accommodating with her players, giving them opportunities to be creative with combat, grappling and skill checks rather than sticking to sterile rules. In addition to this, she runs some of the most exciting combats I've seen and we're only level one. She puts in the creative work to push her story above and beyond and it really shows.
Link #1We start our peek at the adventure here with a dual-wielding ranger and a hunger-mad blood hunter doing battle with a bread beast this size of a small house. How do you fight such a beast? By eating it one flaky, delicious crust at a time!

Then there's the oddest of tea parties between a delirious prophetess and a very drunk conman elf. They trade stories and books as their vocabulary devolves into whimsical fancy. Along the way they find an unexpectedly touching kinship in the way their respective madnesses were dealt with by society.

We see the fun and whimsy on full display here. Dynamic combat, swashbucklers buckling their swashes, the demon pastry on a full rampage, a freaky little goblin-man terrorizing a paladin. Then a harrowing conversation in the A Romani wagon.vardo about the Black Warden and Fort D'Tresse, giving a glimpse of what the party may be up against in the future.

Alessa overhears a very strange conversation between two mad women or perhaps some kind of monsters in disguise plotting the doom of all who reside in the tavern Vesper's Last Call. This portion of the story really pulls out all the stops with horror and absurdity elevating the experience into something much greater than the sum of its parts. Playing in this game is such a delight, as truly anything can happen in the next post and yet each one is so meticulously written and fully realized that it feels nothing other that completely plausible. And when you can make the fantastical feel grounded and gripping, that's the dream. Especially for fans of horror like the Ravenloft setting.
Link #2This series of ten posts is an excellent view into what I love about this game. A halfling sorcerer and a doctor with dubious morals struggling with the aftermath of another battle: a child seeing his father reanimated by an evil agent of the Lord of the Swamp. The battle is psychological and surgical, as the doctor offers to do the impossible and save a woman marked for death by a black blot on her hand.

Then the humorous meeting of a pox-ridden ragman and an eccentric hag-hating witch with some commoners of the swamp.

An elf and a barkeep in the strangest of entanglements: one being puppeteered by their Illithid parasite and the other actually a hag in disguise. The elf is fighting for control of his body, his memories and to save the one he... loves? Of course Alessa, the rascal of a warlock, is brought back to some traumatic memories upon seeing this in the most haunting of fashions. A flung bottle of alcohol really sets things into motion to free the two bunny spirits and their shamaness barkeep from the hag's clutches.

A gunslinger and mad hunter have a sentimental conversation while burning evil effigies that curse them in fascinating ways.

And this is all before a ragtag team try to free a ranger from the innards of the crispy-baked bread beast! DaniLore manages all these storylines marvelously while driving them forward, giving the players toothsome dialogue, moral quandaries and urgent actions to respond to. The use of French and German language influences here is excellent and shows just how lived-in this world is and the incredible atmosphere that DaniLore and her players build post by post.

Last edited by ArcZero; Yesterday at 09:45 PM.
Old Today, 12:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6623
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
I will Hi-Jack the 2nd nomination for the Shadowrun game

Seconding- Shadowrun: Welcome to Seattle (4E)
GameName: Shadowrun: Welcome to Seattle (4E)
DMSilverOcean
Players
PlayerCharacterStatus
Hiruma Kohaku Iron Hide Current
GleefulNihilism Shift Current
Nomad240 Riot Current
Ermine Mouse/Erika Current
Boogieman Bibi Previous
Psuedenim Thumper Current
ArcZero Tonk Current
Scarecrow71Brass Tacks Current
Spatulaodoom Burnt Current

Reason for Nomination
It pains me to say it but Shadowrun is crunchy like 5 day old honeycomb but boy can it give and not just in the rules but in the dedicated chummers that play it. SilverOcean (I did not know english was not your first language so extra Kudos) has done a sterling job of running this game. He's engaged, sharing and set an example of how to keep a games momentum running. If things slow down or someone is unable to post he takes on that mantle - there will be an intermediate update, a flash back, background chit chat, anything. These shadowrunners dont get to stop running. Did I mention that we have a Discord and if you install that app on your phone you are plugged into the matrix of games updates and cat pictures.

So where are my ten posts, well right in here in my back pocket ya gonk.

Why these, well they show some of the delights of those that play. Burnt a kindly but street-smart-arse has already been mentioned. Iron hide who has mastered drinking and shooting and boy can he shoot - just look at those stats and rolls, this is someone putting high caliber bullet storm back into Orcs. Our Mouse really playing that name and me, Thumper, who should be a waiter given his gift for getting to tables fast.

What else, well some of us are new to the rules, the game, the setting but everyone in the game supports and helps each other. I should also state again that SilverOceans enthusiasm and persistence are infectious and possibly one of those magic keys that keeps a game running. Something I see in some of my other longer running games.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
Old Today, 01:02 AM
Adventure Architect

Tools
User Statistics
Nominations for this event are now closed.

THANK YOU everyone for your hard work on these. We'll have the results of the nomination phase and the community voting booth open as soon as possible.

The Hosts
Closed Thread