RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old May 1st, 2024, 11:55 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 54260
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Exquisite Corpse RPG

Game Name
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeAdventure, collaboration, and mayhem.
FlavourSilliness with a heart, and chaos with a purpose.
Plot Summary
Intro to Exquisite Corpse

right-aligned image
Exquisite Corpse 1938: Andre Breton, Jaqueline Lambda, Tanguy. The top of the image is a lion head, the middle is mechanical, and the bottom is a pair of legs in fancy pants, standing on a snail.
Exquisite Corpse RPG is a low-stakes game where writing just one post makes you part of a wild story with lots of creative twists and turns. It's a unique gaming experience, possible in play-by-post only. It's a writing challenge with minimal commitment, and a lot of fun.

What is an Exquisite Corpse?

Exquisite Corpse is a surrealist parlour game, in which a piece of paper is folded into three sections. One person draws a head on the first section, then folds it over. The next person draws a body in the second section, without looking at the head, and folds it over. The third person draws a tail/legs/skirt/swarm of tentacles in the bottom third, without looking at the rest. Then the whole drawing is revealed -- a strange collaboration.

So what is Exquisite Corpse RPG?

In Exquisite Corpse RPG, players and GMs write their posts based solely on the post that came before. The first GM sets up a scenario, with a couple of PCs, a problem, and a setting. The first player takes those PCs forward, rolls dice, makes moves. The next GM comes along, and only reading that player's posts, responds for the world. It's chaotic, weirdly freeing, and results in strange tangents and surprising moments. The experience of reading the whole thing at the end is similar to that amusing reveal of the three-part drawing. A little bit of "what the heck" and a little bit of "wow!"

Think of a relay race. Think of a game of Telephone. It's like that.

Is this even going to work?!?

Yes!!!

First, RPGCrossing folks have play-tested this idea twice.
  • Peril in the Peakswas run with a set of six players, repeating a cycle three times. Testers: lostcheerio, Fillyjonk, PlaidPeregrine, hafrogman, Yoshimi, and bothers.
  • They Sell Not Such In Any Town was played by a group of 15 writers, with only one post each, for a true relay. Testers: Wynamoinen, AnotherDragoon, bananabadger, jbear, Dworin, rhaiber, Lazer, bothers, UngainlyFool, Yoshimi, Sprite, Pseudonymous, lostcheerio, PlaidPeregrine, and Fillyjonk.

Also, this is the team that brought you The Amazing RPG Race, which was last summer's experiment and a great ride. Your game-runners are PlaidPeregrine, lostcheerio, and Fillyjonk, but this project has been developed over the last few months by a group of RPGCrossing regulars who have all contributed so much to the effort. We are thrilled to bring it to you, with their support.

How to Play

1. Read the post you can see.
2. Write a post between 200 and 500 words moving the story forward from there, as a player or GM, whichever you are, with the IC part in a spoiler button, and secreted to the next person on the list.

There are some more details, like an OOC table that flows through from post to post, for example. You can see this in action in the playtest threads. But mostly, that's it! Players control both PCs. GMs control NPCs, enemies, and the world. If you're a player, you can make stuff up about the PCs. If you're a GM you can make stuff up about the world. And then... madness.

Things to Remember:
  • We're not trying to replicate a "normal" play-by-post game.
  • It's okay to try to stick close to a "normal" story.
  • It's also okay to get creative with the story.
  • This is ultimately an experiment!

The Games
right-aligned image
Partial screenshot of the one-page RPG "The Witch is Dead" showing PC stats, a couple of character-generating tables, and a cute drawing of a fox and toad.
Starting June 1, in celebration of Pride month, we will be running three scenarios based on one-page RPGs by queer game designer Grant Howitt. The games we've chosen are Adventure Skeletons, The Witch is Dead, and Sexy Battle Wizards. We will be actively practicing inclusive gaming, welcoming a diversity of gamers to the table and characters to the story. While these games are available for free online, we will also be suggesting a Patreon blast, where we work together to financially support this and other LGBTQIA+ game designers.

There will be three game threads, running simultaneously during the month of June. Depending on how many people apply and are accepted, you can participate in one, two, or all three! You'll choose whether you play as a player or a GM, and if you want to be in a thread that cycles through the same six people three times, or in a true relay thread where each person only posts once. If you can only post during a certain time in June, that's fine! We will schedule you early in the relay, or late, or in the middle, depending on your availability.

Rules Light System for Exquisite Corpse, AKA The Simplest Dice System in the World
Here's the system we'll be using for play:

Your Application
left-aligned image
Exquisite Corpse 1938: Victor Brauner, Jacques Herold, Violette Herold, Tanguy, Uboc. Top of the image is a folded umbrella, the middle is a mechanical cylinder, and the bottom is a pair of legs standing on an old-fashioned scale.
We will be accepting applications from May 1 through May 22 and then sorting everyone into threads for our June 1 launch.

If you are interested in partaking in this wondrous explosion of creativity and craziness, you are welcome to apply! You don't need to create a character. Please look over the playtest threads, read up on the details above, and then use this template:

What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? Let us know what you think of the idea. Anticipation? Trepidation? Confusion?
Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? This could be from one post up to five posts.
Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? You can choose one or the other, or both, or say you have no preference.
Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? We will be affirming and celebrating the rainbow, and following this Guide to Inclusive Gaming on RPGX to the best of our abilities.
Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? We can schedule around your travel, work stuff, or other commitments.
If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? It's no problem to switch the list around and change the order for you.
What two posts would you show us to demonstrate your usual posting style? Link us to two of your typical RPGCrossing posts, with context as needed.

Last edited by lostcheerio; May 2nd, 2024 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 02:38 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 74632
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? The snail! Tanguy Uboc is my idol and I want to snail up a game!

Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads?
Two threads. The medical consensus seems to be that two threads is optimal.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? Ideally, I'd like to GM one and play the other, but I wanna be the Ben Zobrist to your corpse--put me in where you need me! And give me bonus points for sportsball reference!

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? We will be affirming and celebrating the rainbow, and following this Guide to Inclusive Gaming on RPGX to the best of our abilities. Rainbow-level high.

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? We can schedule around your travel, work stuff, or other commitments. The 11th.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? It's no problem to switch the list around and change the order for you. Unless dead or on the ground somewhere, looking to the sky as the vultures circle ... and then the wifi dies.

What two posts would you show us to demonstrate your usual posting style? Link us to two of your typical RPGCrossing posts, with context as needed.
Recent GM post link--respond to players, give em options, hooks to interact
Recent player post link--respond to DM, involve players and NPCs, avoid puke

Last edited by bananabadger; May 2nd, 2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 08:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8327
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Deal me inWhat interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? I like experiments; I like fast moving, free flowing action, and most of all, I had a wonderful experience in lostcheerio's 40 posts in 20 days game last summer so I have faith this will be great as well.

Two sounds good. I'd love to be in the repeating thread if there's a choice.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? player

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? We will be affirming and celebrating the rainbow, and following this Guide to Inclusive Gaming on RPGX to the best of our abilities. Truth be told, I never worried much about people's sexual preferences unless I was in (or hoping to be in) a relationship with them. I probably won't be blazing any trails in this context but hopefully won't be burning any bridges either.

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? At the moment, I am good.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? It's no problem to switch the list around and change the order for you. Sure, cross my heart and hope to die a miserable, horrible protracted, and embarassing death.

Burny slips into an unexpected chance at the spotlight in the Big Tent at the Witchlight Carnival.

Tryggva in a purely combat situation.

Last edited by penbeast0; May 22nd, 2024 at 08:55 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 08:53 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41639
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
I got Q'd, you're getting A'dWhat interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? "DADA doubts everything. Dada is an armadillo. Everything is Dada, too. Beware of Dada. Anti-dadaism is a disease: selfkleptomania, manís normal condition, is DADA. But the real dadas are against DADA."

Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? Probably two. I want to volunteer for all threads that are one-post-per-player. So if that's the arrangement of all, then I'd do all of them. But if one or more is going to be a game of repeated contributions, I think I prefer to sit those out.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? <why not both.gif>

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? Of course! I have a demonstrable track record here, running Uncaged, running Monsterhearts (which has queerness encoded into the ruleset), and in recent characters I've run (see my linked posts below).

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? I think I'm clear.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? I commit.

What two posts would you show us to demonstrate your usual posting style? Link us to two of your typical RPGCrossing posts, with context as needed. Surely my typical posts are also my best ones, yeah? Brace yourself for outrageous levels own-horn-tooting...

PotM for my GM work: An Urban Shadows scene at an underground supernatural wrestling league. It's a scene with multiple focuses, just like at the end of Return of the Jedi. Except here the Emperor is a has-been who likes feathers and tasers. And Luke is a werewolf and Darth Vader is a Dragon. And Han Solo is debating whether he can take a Don't tell Roekahs, but he absolutely COULD NOTblind woman in a fight, rather than an entire legion of storm troopers. And C3P0 is a tailor who sold his soul to the devil. The parallels are too obvious to belabor, really.

PotM for my Player work: a skunk-tailed introvert who's trying to figure out how to be the Hero of Yore (spoiler alert: he successfully fails to be such!) tries to talk a Banshee into having some chill. In doing so, he grapples with his own Lost Love (spoiler alert: when you lose your Love, the trick is for your Love to find you!).
Old May 3rd, 2024, 10:04 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Applying to be a player in one of the threads I'm not running.

Q&A for lostcheerioWhat interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? I am loving that moment when the secret tags get ripped off and all the weird twists and turns are revealed. In our last run, the first post was a reverse "Goblin Market" where a goblin girl ate fruit from a human peddler, and her goblin sister had to save her. What it turned into was... NOT THAT. Heh.

I've used the Exquisite Corpse game multiple times in the classroom, both in writing and sketching, and it's always a blast.

Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? I'm going to be creating the starting scenario for one thread, and would like to participate in one other.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? I'd like to be a player, and pretty far down in the list so what's going to go sideways has already careened into madness.

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? No.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? Yes, I will let myself know if I'm going to be late.

What two posts would you show us to demonstrate your usual posting style?

Most recent post as a player, in which my gnome wizard finishes up a contract with a vampire.

Most recent post as a DM, in which my players have attracted the attention of a goddess.

Last edited by lostcheerio; May 3rd, 2024 at 10:05 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 08:44 PM
voracious Book-Eater

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 41146
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
I just love fieldsets
What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment?
Silly adventure and surrealist mayhem with a dash of purposeful chaos have me sold.

Yes!

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player?
I'd like to GM one (or two) and play one (SBW) if possible.

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities?
Absolutely! I'm down with interesting characters in every shade and spectrum along with the players behind them. There's more than enough room at the table. Critical rolls instead of gender roles, please.

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable?
Not that I know of.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately?
You have my word.

In this post I play the Goblin Bladesinger Chizzich who has found himself transported into a downed Illithid Nautilus after a near-death experience with some grey dwarves. In this scene he is meeting new travel companions who were held in stasis by the formerly Gnomish Mindflayers.
How might I GM something like this? Well, this post is my contribution to the Goblin Market version playtest.
Old May 4th, 2024, 07:54 AM
Zero Nonsense

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30464
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
I just love fieldsets
The challenge, the mystery, the camarad...comerad...The friendship.

Up to three, not wanting to take slots from people who haven't tried it

Either.

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities?
I'm proud to support Pride!

No

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately?
Yes

I'd like to think I have an unusual posting style. Here are my Exqusite Corpse player and GM posts.
Melvellyn dreams of milking a chinchilla
Enter the Fennecromancer!

Old May 4th, 2024, 06:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26240
Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin Corwin
We all love fieldsets
You had me at surrealism. I would love to carry on the grand tradition of tradition-free surrealist improv!

One, please.

Player for a first try.

Sure am!

Nope.

Of course!

Playing: Across the Feywilde by Foot Odor
DMing: Split Screen

PS - The repeating thread sounds fun. Single-post threads sound fun too! Place me where ever works best, but repeating by preference.

Last edited by Corwin; May 22nd, 2024 at 03:16 PM. Reason: repeat repeat
Old May 5th, 2024, 10:25 AM
GMing in Rome and Gareth.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6081
Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin Dworin
did you not leave any puns for me?
I'm in!

What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? It's a fun, short thing. It's very interesting to see where misunderstandings can take a story.
Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? I think two threads will do for me.
Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? one each.
Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? I'm excited to play with anyone and everyone and that certainly includes LGBTQIA+ or anyone else who feels marginalised. I'll do my best to portray characters fairly.
Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? Not that I am aware of now.
If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? Of course!

Playing: A rogue decides to shadow a shady NPC
GMing: An NPC spills the beans

Last edited by Dworin; May 5th, 2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old May 5th, 2024, 07:03 PM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
This is great! Thanks for these applications, everyone. I've started a document to track what everyone wants to do, and will add a table of applicants soon.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:23 PM
#Bard4Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46205
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Who doesn't love a good fieldset
I like DaDa games ands RPGs, so I am here for this intersection (or collision). Also the test runs were super fun, and I like fun.

2 Please.

Plug me in as needed

Heck, yeah.

Nope.

Yep!

DM Post: Fey Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Player Post: What Can Good Girls Do For the Devil

Last edited by Fillyjonk; May 6th, 2024 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 11:59 PM
Story Harvester

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34133
PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine PlaidPeregrine
What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? Chaos! The creativity. Trying to unriddle the GM post, or the Player's post, and craft a response that makes a good amount of sense for the next person to work off of. It's a collaboration of secrets. It's so very interesting to see what happens in transit and interpretation. Ah, intrigue!

Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? Definitely two, if not three.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? Excitement! I'll be writing, whittling, cookin' up the first scene for one of the three games. I would enjoy being a player for a second game.

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? I certainly am, as part of the RPGX community as well as the LGBTQIA+ one.

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? Not that I'm aware of yet.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? Absolutely.

When you and your Cold Case podcast Crew escape New Mexico and end up in a neon Wonderland, needing to sing for supper, too much alcohol and lodging. Love Shack Here

This is a nice post playing as a Siren PC who had just survived an encounter with an Ancient Siren, and who had made a difficult choice between trying to kill the Elder or save her friend after being mauled: Here here!

She/Her
Old May 7th, 2024, 02:58 AM
very preem, choom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2902
Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy Rockerboy
What interests you about the Exquisite Corpse RPG experiment? I think I get the concept and aim for the experiment, and it looks interesting!

Would you like to participate in one thread, two threads, or all threads? I'd probably say one, currently, between balancing GMing and playing.

Would you prefer to be a GM or a player? Player, I'd say!

Are you excited to encourage and welcome LGBTQIA+ players and characters, and support all gender expressions and identities? I'm happy to RP with anyone and everyone, yeah!

Are there any dates in June where you will be unavailable? No plans, nope.

If you can't post when expected, will you commit to letting the game-runners know so we can adjust the list appropriately? Sure thing, I usually try and keep people updated about my absences or unexpected busy weekends.

What two posts would you show us to demonstrate your usual posting style? I'm a flexible and adaptable RPer, I can write something from any scenario, and then aim to help propel things along - whether with actions, questions or suggestions, etc.

Here's a more outgoing and extroverted example!

Here's a outsider who's very out of place example!
Old May 7th, 2024, 01:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6252
Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite Sprite
I was lucky enough to participate in the March play-test, which was a fun and interesting challenge. The resulting narrative was an entertaining read.

One thread, please.

I prefer to be a player.

I am delighted to participate in an inclusive game that celebrates the fabulous rainbow of identities represented by rpgX members!

So far my schedule in June is pretty open.

Absolutely! If something unexpected comes up I will let the game-runners know right away.

At the moment all three of the games I'm part of on rpgX are in the middle of a combat situation...
A GM post, setup for combat or negotiation
Player post, escaping from a hostile encounter with bad guys
Old May 10th, 2024, 01:44 AM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2023

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5436
squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey squirmonkey
I had fun with the RPG Race last year, and this sounds fun too! I look forward to the challenge of trying to figure out what to say with little context.

Can you put me down for whatever amount of threads leads me to a total commitment of like 3-5 posts over the course of June? I guess this will depend on how many players sign up and for how many threads each?

I'm happy to do either or both.

Sure thing

Not to my current knowledge.

Yes.

I tend to be more verbose as a player, and more to the point as a GM:
As a player
As a GM