RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 08-02-2007, 04:17 AM
Just a Few Sea Shells

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32949
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
How I Make My Maps

I have been asked a number of times how I do my maps - so I am finally getting around to putting this thread out. It will be a basic description of how I do my maps. Feel free to post questions, I will try to answer them

Generally, I try to make my maps simple, but effective. The main points are to translate where the characters are, where their opponents are, and where any other things that can effect or be effected by them are. Light is, of course, included in this.

I generally use two programs: Microsoft Excel, and MSPaint.

Microsoft ExcelExcel comes as part of Office...can be pricey, unless you are a student and can find an academic version. There's also an Open Office version of excel (they call it Calc), but it isn't as good, in my opinion.
MSPaintThis comes free with Windows, but if you have some other operating system, you probably have a similar basic drawing program. Yes, you can use more expensive ones, but I don't have them, so I just use Paint

Excel is used for the map basics, then I take a screen shot, paste it into paint, and get rid of the bits I don't need, and edit it for light / visibility. Then I save it as a png, and upload!

I have also recently discovered a tool based on WOTC's Dungeon Tiles. Here is the main information page.

I have also found http://www.rpgmapshare.com/ and http://dungeoneering.net/ to be quite good sites for pieces to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blank grid.png
Views:	9950
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	21382  

Last edited by hvg3akaek; 12-26-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Just a Few Sea Shells

Tools
User Statistics
hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek hvg3akaek
First, I set up excel to my liking. I usually work full screen, but that would be a bit of a waste of uploading-ness Note that I have four tool bars down the bottom of my screen. I find them most useful.

The first is the "Drawing" bar, where I can access most of my shapes, colours, text options, lines and so forth.

The second is a subset of this - clicking on AutoShapes, clicking on Lines, then removing the next menu and placing it on the excel frame. This one just allows me to get to lines easier. Good for when I am doing drawing (freehand lines) and the like.

The third one is the "Borders" bar. Very useful, as you can draw in walls, stairs and so forth without having to add objects. There are pros and cons for objects and lines, but with everything else equal, go lines. They take up less memory!

The fourth bar is greyed out, but it is the rotate/flip option. You get this from Draw => Rotate or Flip => and take this menu. I also find this one great for easy manipulation of objects.

Now that I have my excel tools at easy arms (or mouse) reach, I need to make it more map-like. Clicking on the square to the left of the "A", and above the "1" selects the entire worksheet. (ctrl-a does this too) Then, with the mouse, click between two letters, and drag the cursor to resize the columns. I find 25 pixels a nice size to work at, but see what you like the feel of.

Do the same for the rows, and you have a nice sheet of squares!

At this time, I usually delete sheet 2 and 3, and copy my main sheet a few times, to save me from having to resize each sheet. But there we have it, excel ready for mapping!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	00 excel start.PNG
Views:	444
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	20973   Click image for larger version

Name:	01 excel resize.PNG
Views:	419
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	20974   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 excel square.PNG
Views:	439
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	20975  
Old 08-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Just a Few Sea Shells

Tools
User Statistics
On Screenshots

How to take screenshots: Well, there's a few ways. But first, find the "Print Screen" button. On my keyboard, its above the "insert" key, above the arrow buttons.

Pressing this takes a screenshot, but often saves it in a strange place

Pressing Ctrl + Print Screen takes a shot of the entire screen, including task bars, and other screens, if you have more than one! I think that the difference between this and just "Print Screen" could be that it doesn't automatically save a copy somewhere...?

Pressing Alt + Print Screen takes a shot of just the window you have active at the moment. This is what I usually use.

With either of the above, open up paint, and paste in the image (Ctrl + v), then align it and work onwards!
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Just a Few Sea Shells

Tools
User Statistics
Basic Maps: Lines and Shapes

The easiest way to draw maps is with the border tool. With it, you can select various sizes and styles of lines, representing different walls, fences, edges, and so forth. You can also use different colours to add to this detail.

In the first example below, I have drawn a simple two-room building. Thick black lines for walls, thin dotted lines for windows, and double brown lines for doors.

You can also draw diagonal lines, from one corner to the opposite of one cell, but borders limits your choices to that. For more interesting shapes, you will have to return to the Draw tools.

The easiest Draw tools to use are the straight lines. If you turn on Draw => Snap => To Grid (I make a shortcut on my main window, to make for easy toggle), you can make lines arrange quite neatly. To move them around without snapping to the grid, hold down the Ctrl button. The second example is the same picture, using lines. Not much difference, really - until you try to edit it! Editing borders is quite time consuming, whereas with objects, you can resize, recolour, copy, or delete them with ease. And, if you select multiple objects, you can group them, so that they act as one object. (right mouse button).

Once you get the hang of using lines, move onto other shapes. Squares, circles, arcs - they all can do interesting things! The third example is a bridge house made from borders and rectangles (coloured brown for some (ugly) doors, and gray for stairs)

The fourth example is a mage's home, created from an assortment of shapes, and some borders. The light green "bushes" are the freeform tool, the dark green "trees" are explosion objects. There is also some layer work (look around the large circular building), where I have had to order certain shapes so that the ones on top covered parts of the lower ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	04 - basic borders.PNG
Views:	442
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	21217   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 - basic lines.PNG
Views:	399
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	21218   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 - bridge house.PNG
Views:	515
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	21219   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 - mage's house.PNG
Views:	693
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	21220  
Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Just a Few Sea Shells

Tools
User Statistics
Just adding a link to a thread containing a wide assortment of useful images, thanks to Davion!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I survived Thac0

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4554
Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion Davion
You're welcome, nice work there hvg3akaek... (how the heck to do you pronounce that name anyway?)