Go Back   RPG Crossing > Discussions > House Rules
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 30265
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
Myth-Adventures Magic System

So, starting up a Myth-Adventures game isn't too hard, except that magic works so much different in the MA universe than in standard DnD.

He's what I have so far:

Ley-linesSpellcasters use the power of ley-lines to focus them into spells, there are ley-lines for each element, and they only appear within said element. The two typical flavors of lines that spellcasters use are Earth ley-lines, and Air ley-lines, occuring along the ground that you walk on, and the air above your head.

Places where ley-lines meet are called nodes. They don't have to directly touch, although usually they do, but the power output from these places is equal to N times the additive combination of ley-lines touching. That is, if you have three ley-lines touching, the node will provide 3 times the total of the power you would receive from drawing power from all three of those ley-lines together.

On most dimensions, most ley-lines are of a standard strength, but there are some that are stronger, and some that are weaker. Standard ley-lines can be drawn on for 1PP per round per caster level. Strong ley-lines can be drawn on for 1.5PP per round per caster level (rounding down). Weak ley-lines can be drawn on for 0.5PP per round per caster level (rounding down), minimum 1.

Drawing energy (PP) from a ley-line is a standard action.

PPPP is short for sPell Points. All magic users (worth their salt) are able to store excess magical energy inside of them for use later when there are not ley-lines around to cast their spells.

The number of PP a caster can have within them is equal to 10 plus spellcaster level times the highest of your int, wis, and cha modifers. So, a level 5 spellcaster with 16cha and 10 int would be able to store the same number of PP as a level 5 spellcaster with 16int and 10 cha (that is, 25).

overloadingA spellcaster can make a concentration check DC = normal PP maximum to temporarily store excess PP. They can store a maximum of twice their normal PP maximum, and these PP dissapate at a rate of 1 per round (not counting those used for spellcasting) until their normal PP maximum is reached.

Spellcasters cannot attempt to hold onto this energy dissapating for any reason, but may re-overload themselves at any point.

spell costsSpells typically cost PP equal to their spell level. Thus, cantrips can be performed without expending PP (but cannot be used at 0 PP remaining), level 1 spells cost 1PP per use, and so on.

MetamagicSpells can be empowered beyond their normal limits by use of metamagic. Taking metamagic feats reduces the penalty of applying metamagic to spells to an additive PP cost, instead of a multiplicative PP cost. Applying multiple feats (or even the same feat multiple times) is allowed and all multiplications must be applied. (An empowered (x2) and enlarged (x2) spell costs the normal PP (x4))

Empowered Spell - For a cost of 2 times as many PP, all numeric values (post-rolling) are increased by one half (round down).
Enlarge Spell - For a cost of 2 times as many PP, the range of a spell is doubled.
Extend Spell - For a cost of 2 times as many PP, the duration of a spell is doubled.
Heighten Spell - For a cost of 2PP (1 PP with the feat) per level, the saving throw of a spell can be increased by 1, up to a maximum of 10 above it's normal saving throw.
Maximize Spell - for three times the normal number of PP, the spell being cast automatically applies the maximum number to any random value.
Quicken Spell - for four times the normal number of PP, the spell being cast only takes a swift action, instead of however long the spell would normally take to cast.
Silent Spell - (this metamagic cannot be affected by adding PP. Taking the feat grants you a silent spell for 1 additional PP)
Still Spell- (this metamagic cannot be affected by adding PP. Taking the feat grants you a stilled spell for 1 additional PP)
Widen Spell - for a cost of three times the normal number of PP, the area of effect of a spell is doubled.

The one thing beyond all this that I'm itnersted in doing is breaking all spells down into trees for learning. Comments on doing so?
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
I don't know the setting, so I can only talk about the rules.
Would the number of pp available be the only limit on spells/day? If so, the cost system would skew the advantage considerably towards casting repeated high-level spells (you get vastly more bang for you buck with one meteor-swarm than with three fireballs, and you can do something else in the next two rounds). Compare with this, which is basically the psionics system applied to spellcasting. It would also need to be balanced on the basis of how often you would expect the characters to be able to 'charge', bearing in mind that if it's even slightly more or less that one/day, it's going to change things radically. If they can charge more often (because the lines are readily available) then you don't really want characters holding more than a encouters worth of spells, and utility spells risk essentially becoming free because you can recharge after every use. Comparatively, if they won't be able to charge every day, you either nerf spellcasters completly (because even at high levels they can't afford to cast spells every encounter) or risk massive overkill when they get the chance to blow all their power very quickly. And bear in mind that any caster who can teleport will have the option to jump to a node and refill - a big risk at high levels. And if there is a node within an adventure site, there is the risk of every encounter becoming 'lure it to the node and let the spellcaster nuke it for free'. (If I seem very down on the idea, it's because I've tried tinkering with the magic system in similar ways, and am aware of the pitfalls because I, as a DM, have been thrown into many of them.)
I'm not sure the number of points stored at the moment will scale well - it seems too high at low levels (10+ spells/recharge at first level, plus infinate cantrips...)
I like the idea of being able to pull out any meta-magic feat if you really need it, and are willing to pay for it. There are risks with some of the non-core metamagic, though. Persistant Spell is dangerous enough without having anyone able to do it to any first-level spell for 7PP, and then do it with all your other elligable spells by standing in a node.

By the spell tree thing, you mean you would need to learn Summon Monster I before you learned Summon Monster II, for example? It would be a lot of work, but as long as the spellcasters you're creating worked more like wizards than sorcerors in respect to spells known, I don't see any problem with it. If they did have limits on spells known, though, there would be a big risk of turning all spellcasters into very speciallised tools - if you've followed the 'Fire Evocations' tree, for example, you will have alot of very similar fire effects, and then be stumped when fighting a fire elemental becase you weren't able to also follow the 'Ice Evocations' tree. If you can, I would suggest looking at the GURPS magic system - it used a similar 'you must learn Minor Healing before you can learn Major Healing' system, and would give you some ideas.

Again, this is probably an effect of not knowing the setting at all, but you don't mention any sort of preparation - you would need to work out the mechanics of what spells were available to the caster at the time.

The overloading thing is very cool - I can see interesting encounters built around the idea.

Okay, that turned into a longer rant than I was expecting. I hope I helped some.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption Admin RonarsCorruption
You did.

more information on the setting, to help clairify this idea: The game is a high-magic, low combat, moderately high RP game. As such, having dozens of castings of fireball is of low worry to me, because the combat isn't the focus. However, the game is based around an established setting, and in that setting, the characters are able to - for example - cast disguise self dozens of times per day, plane shift twice, and only then start to get tired.

All characters have sorceror levels instead of wizard levels.

I agree that the GURPS spell tree is very much the feel I want to have. Every level you get N spells, and that lets you learn up the tree to have those spells available at any time. Then also, I was thinking of having the trees be fairly small. Like, nine spells (typically one from each level). So, at first level, you could learn all spells from one tree, or a whole bunch of different trees, or whatever. That way, you can specialize and get spells in a specific category much quicker if you want.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
some trees I think I've worked out...

fire tree
1- Daze
2- Burning Hands
3- Continual Flame
4- Flaming Sphere
5- Fireball
6- Fire Shield
7- Fire Trap
8- Disintegrate

summoning tree
1- Sending
2- Summon Monster I
3- Summon Monster II
4- Summon Monster III
5- Summon Monster IV
6- Summon Monster V
7- Summon Monster VI
8- Summon Monster VII
9- Summon Monster VIII
10-Summon Monster IX

telekinesis tree (this tree characters will begin with)
1- Mage Hand
2- Floating Disk
3- Levitate
4- Fly
5- Hold Person
6- Resilient Sphere
7- Wall of Force
8- Forceful Hand
9- Grasping Hand
10-Crushing Hand
Old 05-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Anarchic Actuary

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2744
chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant chaosaccountant
The only problems I can see with that is where there aren't many suitable low-level spells, or there are too many spells. It would be hard to come up with a 'teleport tree' that started before third level - and there are dozens of other fire-spells that could go in the tree, even with just the core (you missed 'wall of fire' for example).
On a personal, nit-picky note, I would have thought 'flare' or 'light' would be better cantrips in the fire list than daze, but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
good point...

I'll have to figure something different out for spell-trees.

Fortunately, it's the power system we're working out.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
afriendlynoob
This all seems realy cool. i have been trying to design my own DnD mod designed around myth adventures, and this helped a ton. so i was wondering. have you thought about the dimensions? what i mean is that could there be a dimension hopping tree? i could seriously use some advice about this.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Worldcrafter

Tools
User Statistics
I'm afraid this game never got off the floor, I never got any further in the magic system.